Mitchell's NY Blog
April 15, 2018
What to Do After You Read Your Newspaper or Magazine
There’s nothing quite like sitting down at the kitchen table with a warm cup of coffee and your favorite newspaper or magazine, especially if doing so is part of a leisurely weekend when you have nothing pressing to do. For many, the smell of morning coffee is intoxicating and the literature you read in your breakfast nook is captivating. This quiet time with your cup of joe and great reading material is just what a lot of people need to start the day off right.
As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. Unfortunately, this is certainly the case when it comes time to pop your bubble of serenity, put down your newspaper or magazine and discard your coffee dregs. While those activities are sure signs quiet time has come to an end, looking around your living space and seeing stacks of old newspapers and magazines littered all over is all you need to come crashing back to reality…hard.
Even if the mounds of periodicals scattered throughout your place would make it easy for a casual observer to mistake you for a hoarder, you don’t have to turn away from your older periodicals in the aftermath of your morning Zen-like retreat in shame. Instead, you should embrace your stacks of newspapers and magazines with pride and recognize them for what they are — an opportunity for you to do some good.
Did you pick up a magazine in the waiting room the last time you went to the doctor’s office? If so, you may have noticed that the name and address of the periodical’s original recipient were struck out so that the information was unreadable. That was probably done because someone who loves magazines as much as you do donated the magazine to your doctor’s office.
You can follow the lead of that good Samaritan and donate your older magazines to doctors’ and dentists’ offices. If you have some left over, consider giving them to a nearby nursing home, retirement community or shelter.
While magazines typically have information that’s relevant for longer periods of time than daily newspapers, you can still do some good with your old newspapers. Many animal rescues will line crates with newspapers to keep their furry inhabitants warm and comfortable. Reach out to the animal rescues in your area and see if they can put your old newspapers to good use.
If you can’t find anywhere to donate your old magazines or newspapers, recycle them. When you recycle your old reading material, you’re helping to protect the environment. You’re also preventing recyclable materials from ending up in a landfill or collecting dust in your living space.
To enjoy newspapers and magazines during your morning quiet time, you have to acquire them from somewhere! Thanks to Mitchell’sNY, you can have your favorite periodicals delivered right to your doorstep as often as you’d like. Contact Mitchell’sNY to make delivery arrangements today!
March 16, 2018
Every company has logistics and supply chains no matter the size of the business or the industry they’re in. Increasingly, businesses are turning to third-party providers of logistics services and supply chain management to meet these needs, help them increase customer satisfaction and gain a competitive edge.
Mitchell’sNY Logistics has been providing these services, including delivery, warehousing, crating, freight forwarding and more, to New York City and the tri-state area for decades. It’s safe to say we know logistics and supply chain management.
So, what exactly are these vital parts of a business’ operations, and what functions do they entail? What services does a third-party logistics, or 3PL, company provide? Read on to find out.
What Is Logistics?
Logistics is defined as the processes a business uses to get goods from their point of origin to their customers. The goal of logistics management is the seven Rs: getting the right product to the right customer in the right quantity in the right condition at the right place at the right time and at the right cost.
As necessary functions of getting goods from point A to point B, logistics also includes the flow of information and finances that goes along with the products. The end result of effective logistics management is customer satisfaction.
You can break logistics down into two broad categories: inbound and outbound:
- Inbound logistics involves the flow of goods, materials and other assets from suppliers to your company. Inbound logistical activities include procurement, transportation, handling and storage.
- Outbound logistics involves getting your finished product from your company to your customers. Outbound logistical activities include collection, maintenance, order packing and fulfillment, distribution and delivery.
Logistics also includes activities such as managing and controlling stock and maintaining the balance between supply and demand. Smart logistics management helps to prevent both understocking, not stocking enough goods, and overstocking, stocking too many goods. If you understock, you can’t provide customers with the goods they want and satisfy the seven Rs. If you overstock, your costs will be unnecessarily high.
Whether or not a company has an explicit logistics strategy, logistics plays a role in its operation. Every business needs to get something, whether it’s products, services, information or finances, from one place to another. Coordinating the activities this requires is logistics.
Even a business as simple as a lemonade stand involves the basics of logistics management. To run one, you must conduct, perhaps with the help of an adult, logistical activities such as obtaining the ingredients to make the lemonade as well as pitchers and cups and choosing a location for the stand.
Most businesses have much more complicated processes than this and, so, to achieve customer satisfaction and a successful business operation, they must develop a logistics management strategy. Some companies handle the development of this strategy and the execution of logistical activities internally. Others work with a third-party logistics company that helps them to create and execute a strategy. The third-party organization may also already have processes and infrastructure in place that the company can use.
What Is Supply Chain Management?
Supply chain management is a term that’s often used in tandem, or even interchangeably, with logistics management. The two concepts supplement each other, but they can be differentiated. Logistics is often said to be one of many sets of activities that make up the larger supply chain. The supply chain has been described as the body, while logistics is the blood that runs through it.
Supply chain management is similar to logistics in that it involves the processes that get the end product to the customer. There are several key differences, however, between the two:
- Logistics focuses on just one company, while the supply chain involves every organization that plays a role in getting a product to the end user, including suppliers, manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers.
- Logistics focuses on getting a finished product from the supplier to the customer. The supply chain includes everything from development to sourcing to manufacturing to distribution, as well as other business activities.
- The goal of logistics management is customer satisfaction, while the goal of supply chain management is gaining a competitive advantage.
Managing the supply chain helps to link together the various companies and processes that play a role in meeting the requests of customers. It creates the framework within which logistics activities occur and strives to develop a business model that meets goals, such as improved efficiency, consistent quality and reduced costs.
It also plays a vital role in meeting social responsibility objectives as it helps businesses ensure their products are sourced, manufactured and transported in a way that respects human rights, wildlife and the environment. The impact it has on a business’ progress toward these goals is why effective supply chain management is important for customer satisfaction and a company’s public image.
Supply chain management includes a wide range of activities across various organizations that include but are certainly not limited to:
- Product development
- Customer services
- Performance measurement
Like logistics, supply chain management involves the flow of physical goods, information and finances. Also, similar to logistics management, companies might use internal processes to manage their supply chains or work with outside companies. These third-party operations may help them to develop a supply chain management strategy, assist them in managing their supply chain or provide consulting services.
Software also often plays a role in managing the supply chain. Businesses can employ various software and web-based systems to track the flow of goods and information as well as, with the help of algorithms, determine the optimal way to fill orders. A company might choose to share the data input into these programs with their suppliers or clients to make their supply chain more efficient.
Overview of Services
What kinds of logistics and supply chain needs do businesses have? It differs from company to company, but below are some of the most common ones. The logistics branch of Mitchell’sNY is proud to offer these services to New York City and the rest of the tri-state area:
Courier and Messenger Services
When you need to get a small package or parcel to its final destination quickly and accurately in NYC, Mitchell’sNY Logistics can help. With over 7 decades of local experience, we are able to deliver over 750 packages on time every single day. Our bike couriers and foot messengers will get your package where it needs to go when it needs to be there no matter how much traffic, roadwork, subway closures or local events they encounter. Our courier and messenger service can handle anything that weighs less than 10 pounds and is sized smaller than 36 inches.
For packages over 10 pounds and 36 inches, we offer export motor delivery. We can deliver packages within Manhattan in two hours and provide same-day delivery for outer boroughs. Contact us for estimated times and rates for other areas. We can also transport large packages nationwide by box truck or tractor-trailer and will handle processing pickup and delivery.
Delivery by Refrigerated Trucks
Perishable goods require special attention and properly regulated temperatures. Our refrigerated trucks delivery service provides both. We accept up to a full truckload of goods and can provide refrigerated delivery in Manhattan within two hours and fast delivery to other areas.
White Glove Pick-Up and Delivery
When you need your event to go off without a hitch, you can depend on Mitchell’sNY Logistics. We offer white glove pick-up and delivery services and will handle your event logistics from start to finish. We provide crating and packing, loading and unloading along with pick-ups and delivery.
We can transport anything you need, including fragile and high-value items and perishable goods. We’re a premier provider of shipping and delivery services for Javits Center events and have worked with some of the top fashion designers in NYC.
Crating and Freight Forwarding
We can also transport your high-value and extra-large items. We offer custom crating solutions that can accommodate goods of any type and size, even those with odd dimensions. Our quality crating materials will protect your items and make sure they arrive at their destination safely. We also offer freight forwarding to all 50 states and can even organize international freight forwarding.
When working with Mitchell’sNY Logistics, you’ll have access to dedicated shipment options, overnight air shipment and sea shipment upon request. You can drop your crated items off at our loading dock, or we can come pick up your shipment and crate it if necessary.
You can also outsource your shipping and warehousing to Mitchell’sNY Logistics. We have secure facilities and experienced staff that enable us to provide reliable on-time delivery, daily email updates and exceptional customer service. We’re your source for pick-and-pack fulfillment and last-mile logistics services.
Since needs vary throughout the year, our warehousing services are highly flexible. We can store merchandise of all sizes and accommodate both large and small operations with our over 45,000 square feet of storage space. We can also create a warehouse management system customized to your unique business needs and goals.
Time Services and Facility Management
Reduce your overhead and streamline your operations by letting us take care of your time services, messaging and facility management. We’ll provide in-house mailroom support, messenger service, document delivery, order fulfillment and other services to help you optimize your company’s communications.
Rather than hiring staff and investing in facilities and equipment, you can take advantage of our affordable, reliable service.
Our friendly, professional staff also provides a wide range of convenience services. These services are available anytime including late nights, early morning and weekends. Mitchell’sNY Logistics is your source for:
- Commerical and residential moving help
- Packing supplies
- Temporary and long-term storage
- Truck tracking
- Garbage disposal
- Temporary staffing
- And more
Delivery, Logistics and Supply Chain Management Consulting
You can also come to us for consulting services regarding delivery, logistics and supply chain management. With over 72 years of logistics and supply chain experience and local knowledge, we’re the company that NYC trusts for everything from vendor management to last-mile logistics.
The experts at Mitchell’sNY Logistics can help you develop strategies for choosing a supply chain management solution that works for you. We apply a personal touch to our extended supply chain management service with our constant communication and friendly, helpful customer service.
Reasons to Use a Third-Party Logistics Company
Working with a third-party logistics company has a number of advantages over handling everything yourself. That’s why 65 percent of shippers are expanding their use of 3PL services, according to a study from Georgia Tech’s Supply Chain & Logistics Institute. It’s also why 86 percent of domestic Fortune 500 companies use third-party logistics, according to data from consulting firm Armstrong & Associates.
Many of these companies even work with multiple 3PL companies, and here’s why:
A Large Resource Network
3PL companies typically have access to a larger resource network than individual companies. This opens up new opportunities, especially for smaller businesses, and means there are more way to optimize operations.
You could get access to some of those resources yourself, but it would require a significant up-front investment. 3PL services can also reduce your overhead costs through increased efficiency and large-volume discounts.
More Time for Your Core Business
In addition to saving money, outsourcing your logistics management saves you time. You don’t have to do everything yourself, and, due to the number of resources they have, 3PLs can often get things done faster. This gives you more time to focus on what you do best — running your core business.
For 3PLs, logistics is their core business. That means they have a lot of experience, knowledge and skills in this area, which can improve the results of your logistics management.
Flexibility and Scalability
Working with a 3PL provides more flexibility and scalability than handling logistics yourself. For example, you can easily scale up or down on inventory and warehouse space based on demand during different times of the year.
If you had bought a warehouse when demand was low, part of your facility would sit empty. It also gives you more freedom to expand into new areas, without making significant up-front investments.
Improved Customer Satisfaction
Ultimately, working with a third-party logistics company can improve customer satisfaction because it can help you get your customers the products they need faster and at a lower cost.
Selecting a Third-Party Logistics Company
When choosing a logistics company, you need to consider your unique business needs and goals and choose the company that will best help you meet them. Here are some of the factors you should consider:
Make sure the company has the services you need, whether that’s warehousing, delivery, crating or anything else. Since you can use multiple companies, they don’t need to have every single service you might require. They should, though, be willing to work with you to come up with solutions that fit your needs.
Equipment and Resources
You’ll also need to consider the size and location of their warehouses, the size and qualifications of their staff, their delivery vehicles and the technologies they use. Make sure these resources can meet your business’ requirements.
Availability and Location
Before you work with a 3PL, you need to make sure they’re available when you need them, especially if you might require their services during early-morning, late-night or weekend hours. You should also consider where they’re located in relation to you and your customers. Local knowledge of an area can make deliveries much more efficient.
Look for testimonials, reviews and statistics, such as on-time delivery ratios, online. If they have clients that have been with them for a long time, that can be a positive sign. Feel free to ask for references from the company too. Also, consider years of experience and whether they’ve done work that’s similar to what you need.
You’ll also have to make sure the pricing aspects, including the overall cost, pricing structure and payment terms, of the services you need make sense for your company. The 3PL should be able to provide you with a quote.
Are you considering working with a third-party logistics company? There’s no better choice than Mitchell’sNY Logistics. We’ll work with you to create a custom logistics and supply chain management solution for your business.
With decades of experience, local knowledge and logistics expertise, we can provide you with the services you need to meet your company’s needs and reach your goals. Contact us today via phone, email, mail or online form to learn more about our services and how they can benefit your company. You can also request a free quote online.
March 1, 2018
Spring is a great time of year, isn’t it? With warmer temperatures, colorful new growth all around and longer days, spring just beckons you outside. While you may want to spend all your free time outdoors soaking up some rays after a long, dormant winter, you can’t deny that there’s work to do inside your apartment. That’s right, the time for spring cleaning comes hand-in-hand with the arrival of the new season.
Spring Cleaning Tips
Although you may dread the thought of cleaning your apartment, it’s a necessity for many apartment dwellers when spring rolls around. And there’s no denying that having a sparkling apartment is certainly worth it in the end. The key is motivating yourself to get from where you are to the endpoint of a clean, well-organized living space.
To help you get motivated, you should create a plan for cleaning your apartment and enlist some help. Cleaning with friends is always more fun than scrubbing your bathroom on your own. Having a plan will help you and your crew remain inspired because you’ll be able to check things off your list of cleaning tasks as you go.
Here are some additional tips for tackling your spring cleaning:
- Sort and Store Your Cold-Weather Clothes: Spring is a fantastic time to go through your cold-weather garb and decide what you want to keep, donate and toss. There is no point in storing clothes you don’t plan on wearing next winter, after all, so donate items that are still wearable. If an item is in disrepair, throw it out or repurpose it into a cleaning rag. Stow the clothes you want to keep in a location that won’t clutter your closet or living space.
- Dust Your Blinds: Many people don’t notice the dust that builds up on their blinds in the winter because the days are shorter and they’re working when the sun shines in their apartments. With longer days, dust becomes much more obvious in the spring, making it the perfect time to dust your blinds thoroughly. To get the job done right, use a dryer sheet so that the dust will cling to the sheet instead of falling back onto your blinds.
- Flip Your Mattress: Flipping your mattress regularly can help your mattress last longer and prevent uneven wear. If it’s been a while since you flipped your mattress, make it a point to turn it over it as part of your spring cleaning ritual.
- Take a Break: You can make spring cleaning more enjoyable by infusing some fun into the process. Accomplish this by including frequent breaks in your cleaning schedule. An effective way to keep yourself and your helpers motivated to wrap up your spring cleaning is to make arrangements for Mitchell’sNY to deliver pastries and beverages to your apartment during a break. Contact Mitchell’sNY to schedule a delivery now!
February 1, 2018
Is there anything worse than being on a date and falling into the doldrums of awkward silence? Whether it’s your first, fifth, or 50th date, prolonged awkward silence is a sure-fire way to pretty much ensure your calls will be sent to voicemail and your texts will remain unanswered moving forward.
Luckily, New York City offers a wide array of ideal date activities, experiences and places that almost guarantee both of you will have a great time. Best of all, many of these activities and locations provide plenty of fodder for lively, lasting conversation.
Where to Go and What to Do for a Great Date
Whether you want to do the “usual” dinner and drinks or something outside of the traditional box, New York is where you’ll find a long list of things that have the potential to yield a memorable time neither you nor your date will forget anytime soon. Here are some of the things you might want to consider for your next date:
- Take a Cooking Class: Even if you’re a master chef, you can still have a ton of fun by taking a cooking class with your date. Just remember your date isn’t your sous chef, he or she is a student just like you. Located on West 57th Street, Sur La Table offers a wide array of cooking classes for you to choose from.
- Play Table Tennis: Whether or not you’re athletically inclined, you can challenge your date to a table tennis match at SPiN. Founded by actress Susan Sarandon, SPiN boasts a comfortable retro atmosphere and a drink menu that includes Moët if you want to celebrate your, or your date’s, ping pong victory in style.
- Go Ice Skating: Believe it or not, New York City has a number of both iconic and under-the-radar places where you and your date can go ice skating. You can leave your date breathless at Central Park, Rockefeller Center or Bryant Park. No matter where you go skating, you and your date will enjoy time together outside.
- Try Your Hand at Bowling: While you may scoff at the notion of bowling being a perfect date activity, you’ll change your mind if you bowl at Frames. With VIP lanes, a dance lounge, pool tables and a drink menu that includes Grey Goose and Dom Perignon, Frames isn’t your stereotypical bowling alley.
- Have Breakfast at Your Place: If you want to do something special without leaving home, contact Mitchell’sNY to schedule a delivery of magazines, newspapers, pastries and beverages. Invite your date over and enjoy time lounging around reading your favorite periodicals and feasting on delicious baked goods washed down with equally tasty drinks. Better yet, make a habit of sharing breakfast at your place whenever you want to set the scene for a perfect date. Contact Mitchell’sNY to schedule a delivery today!
January 24, 2018
New York has long been known as the city that never sleeps for good reasons. Even when the temperature dips well below freezing and the wind howls between the city’s skyscrapers, New York is alive with all sorts of activities. From winter festivals, live shows, shopping, ice skating, dog shows, public parks and a plethora of restaurants and bars, NYC has plenty to keep everyone entertained throughout the year’s coldest season.
Can’t-Miss Winter Activities in the Big Apple
While you have an abundance of things to choose from when you’re looking for something to do in New York City during the winter, certain activities stand out. Here are some of the can’t-miss activities you should check out regardless of whether you’re a New York City resident or you’re just in town for a visit:
- Go Ice Skating at Bryant Park: Bryant Park is the home of a 17,000-square-foot outdoor ice skating rink. You can skate there for free if you have your own skates. If you need to rent a pair of skates, you can do so for a nominal fee. When you take a break from the ice, you can snag a snack and a warm beverage at one of the kiosks surrounding the rink or you can enjoy a full dinner and some adult beverages at Public Fare, the park’s rink-side eatery.
- Take a Wine Tasting Class: While you may know that white wine goes with certain dishes while red pairs better with others, you might not know the best wines to pair with dishes commonly served in cold weather. You can learn all about winter wines and which ones to serve with what by taking a wine tasting class at Brooklyn Winery.
- Go Shopping: New York City is where you can find world-renowned retailers like Prada located right next to specialty stores such as H&M. For a shopping experience you simply can’t enjoy anywhere else, grab your wallet and hit the streets of SoHo, lower Manhattan, the lower East Side, Nolita, Uptown, the East Village or Greenwich Village to shop to your heart’s delight. No matter which direction you head in when you step out your door, you won’t be disappointed with the shopping choices that await.
- Savor a Steak at Old Homestead: A long-time staple in New York City, Old Homestead is the restaurant that introduced hungry diners in the Big Apple to Wagyu beef. It’s also where you’ll find one of the best steaks you’ll ever taste.
- Enjoy the Peace: Sometimes, it’s a good idea just to stay in and enjoy the peace and quiet. While it’s fun to be a part of the city’s hustle and bustle, there’s nothing like relaxing at home or in your hotel room overlooking the city. If that’s your plan, you can have Mitchell’sNY deliver newspapers, magazines, pastries and beverages right to your doorstep. Contact Mitchell’sNY to schedule a delivery now.
December 1, 2017
From condominiums to brownstones to town homes and more, there certainly isn’t a shortage of housing options in New York City. One popular option for many homeowners and renters alike is an apartment. If you’re going to buy a luxe apartment, though, there are some things you’ll want to keep in mind.
Purchasing a Luxury Apartment in the Big Apple
Having a guide or a list of steps you can follow to buy a luxe apartment can make purchasing the home of your dreams much simpler, which is why we’ve put one together for you. The first step toward becoming a homeowner in NYC is to do some research about the city’s real estate market. You can start your research by checking out Luxury Listings NYC, an award-winning publication read by most of Manhattan that focuses on luxury apartment and townhouse listings.
While reading The Real Deal is a great place to start, you need to do a few other things before you can realistically expect to buy an apartment in New York City. Here are some additional aspects to consider before you purchase a luxury apartment in NYC:
- Your Budget: The price of an apartment in New York depends on a variety of factors, including its size, location, amenities and the condition of the building it’s in, among others. Because prices can vary widely, it’s important to determine your budget before you even begin looking at apartments. If you’re going to finance your apartment, it’s equally critical to get pre-approved for a loan by an active mortgage lender before you start hunting for an apartment.
- Neighborhood: The next thing you should do is decide what neighborhood you’d like to live in. Do you want to live close to your office or is being near your child’s school more important? Are you interested in having a great view of a park, or do you want fantastic restaurants right outside your door? Since you may live in the same apartment for years after you buy it, it’s important to make sure the neighborhood where it’s located has as many of the things you find desirable as possible.
- Features: Just like you’ll want the neighborhood where you’ll live to have certain things, you’ll also want your apartment to have specific features, such as a view of the Hudson River and/or three bedrooms. You need to be realistic about the features you want an apartment to have and understand that every feature will come with a price tag. To help stay within your budget, make a list of the features you want in descending order of importance. Identify the things you must have and those you can still live happily without.
- Amenities: Next, you have to decide what kind of building you want to live in. Your choice will be much easier once you figure out the amenities you want your building to have. Some of the amenities that may be important to you include a doorman, a fitness room and a concierge.
- Realtor: Finally, you’ll need to find a knowledgeable realtor who has a track record of success helping people like you realize their dream of owning a luxe apartment in New York City. Asking people you trust for referrals, especially if they’ve purchased property in NYC recently, and doing some research online are effective ways to find a realtor you’ll enjoy working with.
While finding a realtor is the last step to finding a luxury apartment before you start looking at properties, the buying process starts with you getting a copy of The Real Deal. Contact Mitchell’sNY to have a copy of this revered NY real estate publication delivered to your location as a one-time delivery or on a reoccurring schedule.
November 2, 2017
Depending on how often you use delivery services, you may or may not have heard of the phrase “white glove delivery.” When you think of white gloves, do you think of a butler holding a silver platter, ready to serve you champagne? After all, white gloves used to be part of a man’s evening attire. They continue to be worn by professional drivers in Japan today.
White gloves are elegant. They also show dirt or dust, so if you’re being served hors d’oeuvres by someone wearing white gloves, you can quickly determine if their hands are clean or not.
If you associate white gloves with special treatment, you’re right. Whether your waiter or delivery driver wears them, “white glove” means your satisfaction comes first. That’s the idea behind white glove delivery service.
What Is White Glove Delivery?
White glove delivery is essentially a step up from regular delivery. Exceptional attention is paid to the item throughout its journey.
When an item is delivered via white glove delivery, every step of the way, from point A to point B, is very carefully considered. Whereas ordinary delivery services leave packages on the sidewalk or in the driveway, white glove drivers will bring the package or packages into your home or place of business to save you the trouble of heavy lifting and assembly.
White glove delivery services include care for the following:
- Packaging: Items delivered through white glove services are packaged with proper materials to ensure the items arrive exactly as they were before delivery — no scratches, dents or broken pieces. Some companies build custom crates for your items, regardless of size or weight.
- Logistics: From the moment packages or goods are prepared for shipping to the minute these items are transported to their destination, every step is planned according to the needs of the customer and the objects handled. From choosing the proper packaging to scheduling overnight storage, all the logistics are dealt with by the delivery service, leaving you time and space to take care of other priorities.
- Cleanliness: The storage facilities and delivery trucks used with white glove delivery services are clean and secure, to prevent damage from dirt, dust or other debris.
- Assembly: White glove delivery drivers are trained specialists who not only deliver goods safely and efficiently but also assist with moving packages to the desired location. They can help with assembly and setup of delivered goods. Whether it’s a piece of bulky furniture or a delicate lighting fixture, white glove drivers are trained and prepared to make sure the object is left in a condition and position that satisfies the customer.
- Disassembly: If you use white glove services for an event such as a wedding or trade show, white glove drivers will safely and quickly disassemble, remove and transport the delivered objects to the new location.
- Disposal: All boxes, crates and packing materials will be disposed of by white glove drivers as you wish, saving you time and trouble.
When Should You Use White Glove Delivery?
There are countless scenarios where using a white glove delivery service would undoubtedly be the best option. Whether you have antique furniture or art delivered to your home, or you need sterile medical equipment delivered in a timely fashion and treated with extreme caution, consider going white glove. For your business or your home needs, it’s worth it.
Say you just bought a new home in New York state. Your mother calls you from Kansas City and tells you that she wants you to have grandma’s antique Victorian desk. You have long dreamt of owning that desk, and you finally have the perfect room to keep it in. How will you get it there?
You imagine that gorgeous piece of mahogany riding in the back of a truck that’s also delivering rolls of chicken wire. In such a situation, you might find grandma’s desk upon delivery looking as if it’d been handled by a giant angry cat instead of a human being. In this case, choosing white glove delivery could give you peace of mind nothing will happen to your heirloom.
Or say there’s going to be an exhibit of your life-sized glass sculptures in a gallery a hundred miles away. Would you feel safe hiring just any delivery service to transport and install a decade of your life’s work? Probably not.
The Best Items to Ship Using a White Glove Delivery Service
According to a survey, approximately 16.9 million people moved to a new county annually from 2010-2014. That’s a lot of moving going on. Were you one of the millions? Remember how difficult it was to move all of your belongings?
Obviously, not every item needs to be handled by expert delivery drivers. But some, as we’ll take a look at below, really do need attention to all the details. Generally speaking, if an object is of high value, irreplaceable, too heavy, difficult to assemble, or needs quick assembly, then it’s probably worth white glove treatment.
A valuable is anything that has monetary value or personal value. A valuable could be a piece of Egyptian pottery transferred to a new exhibit, or it could be a wedding dress passed down through generations. Whatever the object is, value means something different to everyone.
White gloves services will give just as much care to ancient pottery as a vintage bridal gown because specialized delivery services value customer satisfaction. Some valuable items to consider using white glove delivery services for may include:
- Artwork — sculptures and paintings
- Expensive equipment — machines, musical instruments or robotics
- Rare items — artifacts, antiques or memorabilia
Setting up a theater production? Need lighting or displays delivered and assembled ASAP? Fragile items aren’t just those made of glass or ceramic. Lots of things in our businesses and homes require unique handling and arrangement, as they may have delicate parts that could be easily damaged if not transported with extreme care. Fragile items that may need particular treatment include:
- Decorations — holiday displays or event decor
- Furniture — unassembled pieces or fine materials
- Displays — theater set pieces or trade show exhibits
- Lighting fixtures — chandeliers or large wall sconces
- Other goods — glass, porcelain, chinaware, pottery or crystal
Unassembled or Bulky Furniture
You may want to consider hiring white glove professionals to deliver your furniture if it is valuable, delicate, too heavy to carry alone, difficult to handle or in need of assembly. Consider some stats:
- According to the American Chiropractic Association (ACA), 31 million Americans experience lower back pain. It is estimated up to 80% of people will experience a back problem at some point in their life, and Americans spend $50 billion or more each year on back pain.
- One of the ACA’s tips to prevent back pain is to “lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting.” Want to know our tip to preventing back pain? Leave the lifting to the experts.
White glove services might be worth considering for not only heavy items but difficult or hard-to-assemble items. We all only have so much time in the day, and sometimes it’s just worth having a professional take care of something and save yourself the headache.
Remember the last time you tried to build that do-it-yourself bookshelf shaped like a mermaid? Or when you asked your neighbor to help you squeeze your wrought iron headboard through the front door, and whoops! There went the freshly painted wall. Some chores are just way easier and less of a health risk to leave to the experts.
If you work in a hospital or any medical facility, or you care for someone at home, you know the importance of sterile medical equipment. In addition to equipment being 100% sterile, it’s vital the equipment works upon arrival, as someone’s life may depend on it.
White glove delivery can ensure your medical equipment is handled with the utmost care. Call your delivery company to see if it offers medical-related deliveries, as this may include the need for refrigerated trucks.
Refrigerated or Perishable Goods
Depending on the service you contact, they may or may not offer refrigerated services. Mitchell’sNY offers refrigerated trucks as well as box trucks and tractor trailers to meet all of your needs. Whether you’re a business or restaurant owner, or you want catered dishes to make it to a party on time, white glove delivery is the way to go.
Food items or beverages should always be handled with great consideration. The last thing you’d want on your daughter’s wedding day is for the 5-tier cake to arrive looking like a deflated basketball. Anything edible requires cleanliness and climate control — factors you’ll want to consider when choosing your delivery service.
Special Event Deliveries
White glove delivery services will not only transport perishable items from a caterer or other business to the desired location but will also help you set up your special event or trade show in one seamless transaction. This could include delivery of and assistance with:
- Tables and chairs
- Lighting fixtures
- Cooking equipment and serving stations
- Food and drink
- Musical equipment
- Sets or displays
- Sound systems or audio equipment
Virtually anything you need help with regarding the delivery of goods, and the setting up and tearing down of the event, can be left in the hands of a white glove delivery service. For your next special event, save yourself a lot of stress and time and contact a white glove delivery service like Mitchell’sNY.
How to Pick a Provider
Now that you know what white glove delivery services are all about, you’re probably wondering how to choose the right provider for you.
Here are some questions you’ll want to ask yourself and potential providers when making a decision:
- Provider location: Can this provider meet your needs on time?
- Services provided: Will you need overnight storage? Refrigeration? Audio setup experts? Make sure the company you are interested in will be able to efficiently deliver quality service.
- Delivery time: How long will the delivery take? What are the hours of operation? Can a delivery be scheduled at any time?
- Tracking: What tools are available to you to track your delivery? Are the tools convenient or easy to use?
Also, you’ll want to read past customer reviews and testimonials. Learn the company’s history. What is their reputation? You’ll want to go with a company that is experienced, has positive reviews, and shows a proven record of reliability and excellent customer service.
What to Expect From White Glove Delivery Services
What a white gloves service offers depends on the company. However, you should expect to receive nothing short of the highest-quality customer service with any white glove service. The delivery service will not end until your satisfaction is met. Mitchell’sNY is a company that takes care of the full logistics from start to finish.
Using a white glove delivery service will save you:
Moving is not fun. Lifting heavy furniture is not fun. Asking friends, family and neighbors to help you move is definitely not fun. At times, it can be tempting to abandon all your belongings and hide in a cave somewhere. If you’re feeling discouraged enough to live with a family of bears, then it’s likely time to contact a delivery service.
Get in Touch With Mitchell’sNY for Your NYC White Glove Delivery Needs
Looking for a white glove trucking service in New York City? For over 68 years, Mitchell’sNY Logistics has been a trusted provider offering all of your delivery needs, from white glove services to assistance with warehouse management. Mitchell’sNY will save you valuable time while you focus on living your life.
Not all companies provide top-notch service from beginning to end, so it’s important to know what you’re paying for with any company you choose. However, you can depend on Mitchell’sNY Logistics to be there for you every step of the way.
Let Mitchell’sNY cater to your delivery needs, so you can have the time and freedom to enjoy your next event or your new home stress-free. With white glove service, every detail matters. Wondering about costs? Contact Mitchell’sNY Logistics for a free quote today.
October 19, 2017
Since 1952, Black Friday has been widely regarded as the start of the holiday shopping season in the United States. Historically, many retailers have opened early on Black Friday and offered money-saving deals of some of the items that are expected to be big sellers during the holiday season. In more recent years, retailers have started their Black Friday promotions by opening their doors to consumers during the evening on Thanksgiving.
While Black Friday isn’t a national holiday, many people who aren’t employed in the retail industry have the day off. Because so many shoppers don’t have to work and a lot of retailers offer deep discounts and have extended hours on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving is often one of the busiest shopping days in a given year.
Getting Ready for Black Friday
Preparation is the key to having success as a shopper on Black Friday. Even if you’re heading out to pick up just one item, it’s likely you’ll encounter long lines, which means you’ll be on your feet a lot. Be sure you get plenty of rest before you leave your home, especially if you’re going to be shopping all day.
Because there we be lines, crowded stores and a lot of walking, it’s also critical to wear comfortable shoes during your shopping marathon. In other words, Black Friday isn’t the day for you to break in a new pair of shoes — no matter how great they make you look.
Make sure you leave home with a full stomach on Black Friday or the evening of Thanksgiving if you’re going shopping, too. You’ll want to be fully hydrated as well. Since crowded spaces are often warmer and more physically draining than usual, be sure you bring some bottled water with you so you can replenish your fluids as necessary.
Making arrangements to have Mitchell’sNY deliver newspapers to your home or office should be another part of your Black Friday preparations. The newspapers we’ll deliver directly to you are great sources of information regarding Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday sales and the times area retailers will open their doors to the public.
After you look through the newspapers we deliver, make a list of the retailers you want to visit and the specific items you’re hoping to purchase at each location. Having a list of retailers and products will help you avoid missing a great deal, and it will help you stay within your budget.
Shops to Explore on Black Friday
Here are some NYC shops you may want to check out on Black Friday:
- Macy’s Herald Square: Macy’s Herald Square is the home of the world’s largest shoe store, which measures 63,000 feet. It’s also the home of fantastic doorbusters on Black Friday. With an endless supply of shoes, other goods and great deals, it’s unlikely you’ll leave Macy’s Herald Square empty-handed.
- Lord & Taylor: Offering deals on the latest fashions, you won’t go wrong by including Lord & Taylor on your list of must-stop shops for Black Friday. If you don’t take our advice and leave home hungry, you can refuel with a satisfying meal at the retailer’s in-store eatery, Sarabeth’s.
- The Shops at Columbus Circle: If you’re looking for one location where you can shop at a lot of different stores, visit The Shops at Columbus Circle the day after Thanksgiving. From J. Crew to H&M to Sugarfina and a whole lot more, you’ll enjoy a wide variety of choices at The Shops at Columbus Circle.
When it comes to Black Friday this year, you can’t go wrong when you enlist the help of Mitchell’sNY to deliver the timely periodicals you need to score those fantastic deals.
October 1, 2017
While it might be difficult to believe it’s already October, it is! And we couldn’t be more excited because October brings Halloween and a bunch of fun-filled holiday parties right along with it.
One of the things that makes Halloween and the weeks leading up to it so much fun is that the holiday and its festivities give you the chance to step into someone else’s shoes and pretend you’re them, even if it’s just for a little while. Whether you want to dress up like your child’s favorite Disney character, a famous athlete, a Hollywood star or something else, you can be just about anything you want to be on Halloween. You can even be a building, mailbox, fire hydrant or something even more outrageous.
If you can’t think of anything you want to be for Halloween or you’re trying to outdo that one person at the office party who always comes up with the perfect costume, you may find inspiration in pop culture. From iconic stars to newer arrivals on the scene, pop culture personalities are memorable and fun to impersonate around this time of year.
Here are some ideas for Halloween costumes taken directly from pop culture:
Starring actress Gal Gadot as its lead character, “Wonder Woman,” debuted in the United States on June 2, 2017. “Wonder Woman” is the fourth installment in the “DC Extended Universe” series and it’s based on the DC Comics’ character of the same name.
“Wonder Woman” tells the story of Princess Diana, who rescues a pilot whose plane crashes near her Amazon island home of Themyscira. When the pilot, Steve Trevor, informs the all-female island population about the ongoing World War, Princess Diana leaves her homeland to attempt to end WWI and she makes the masterful transition into Wonder Woman during the process.
From Wonder Woman’s timeless body suit, flowing black hair, golden lasso and armor, “Wonder Woman” offers plenty of ideas for eye-catching Halloween costumes. One idea that will probably be overlooked by many is dressing up as the film’s modern-day director, Patty Jenkins. Jenkins is the first-ever female director of a live-action, superhero film released by a Hollywood studio for theaters.
There’s nothing quite like the 80s. Luckily, the Netflix hit series “Stranger Things” gives you the chance to show off some subtle 80s flare without making your costume seem dated or out of place. “Stranger Things” is set in the sleepy town of Hawkins, Indiana, where a young boy named Will goes missing in the series’ first episode.
After Will’s disappearance, things get stranger and stranger in Hawkins. If you’re interested in cropping your hair super short and wearing a hospital gown, you’ll resemble a character known as Eleven during her first appearance on the show.
Will’s mother, Joyce, is portrayed by accomplished actress, Winona Ryder. Obviously tormented by her son’s disappearance, Joyce is focused on trying increasingly strange methods to find her child. All you need to complete her ensemble is a flannel shirt, a string of Christmas lights and a piece of cardboard with the alphabet painted on it.
The timing for dressing as a character couldn’t be any better than Halloween 2017 because season two of “Stranger Things” is slated to debut on the holiday.
If you frequent public transportation, you’ve probably seen an assortment of entertainers on subway platforms. From singers to guitarists, dancers, preachers and more, there isn’t a shortage of talented characters who entertain the masses every day as they pass through The Big Apple’s underground subway stops.
To find inspiration for a Halloween costume that’s like no other, visit a few subway platforms. Inspiration is everywhere and that’s certainly true when it comes to the city’s many street artisans.
If you want to stay on top of what the nation’s most iconic pop culture stars are up to, contact Mitchell’sNY to set up a regular delivery of your favorite newspapers and entertainment magazines today.
September 14, 2017
What makes NYC street fashion so compelling? For many it’s the diversity of style, silhouette and substance. When it comes to street style and expressing yourself, you really can’t go wrong. That is, you can’t go wrong unless you’re still following last year’s fall fashion trends.
Fall Fashion Trends
When you express yourself with your very own street style, you want to be turning heads for the right reasons, not the wrong ones. To do so, you need to incorporate some of the latest fashion trends into your wardrobe.
To make sure people view your outfits as chic instead of depressingly bleak and outdated, here are some style trends you should work into your attire this year:
- Volume: The 1970s and 1990s have heavily influenced fashion in recent years. This year, the 1980s will have a big impact on street style — and that means volume will be the name of the game. From oversized blazers to large shoulder pads and more, it’s all about volume this fall and winter.
- Velvet: Velvet was used on more fashion runways back in the spring than not, so it’s only natural this fabric will be used heavily in a lot of fall and winter clothing in 2017 and the beginning of 2018. While you may think of the same old colors when you think of velvet, it’s likely that you’ll see plenty of jewel-toned shades this season.
- Sleeves: Big, bold sleeves are in this fall and winter. With the emphasis that’s been placed on the shoulder in recent years, it’s only natural that fashion’s focus shifted a bit southward this year and brought sleeves back into prominence.
- Silver: You won’t be able to escape having silver clothes in your closet if you want to keep up with street style this fall and winter. In fact, having just a silver blouse or pants might not be enough for you to look like you’re up to date with the current fashion trends. To look chic, consider putting together an entire outfit that includes only silver clothes.
- Corduroy: Just like some thought velvet would be hard-pressed to make a comeback in fashion, it wasn’t that long ago that many thought corduroy’s days on the fashion runway were long gone. Many reputable designers incorporated corduroy into their fall and winter designs for this year, which means corduroy is “in” once more.
- Shearling: If you want to wear some fashionable outerwear this year, many of your choices will have shearling. This plush wool comes in a host of shapes and sizes, so you can expect your options to vary widely.
- Puffers: If you’ve always been a fan of the puffer coat, you’ll be thrilled to know that it’s been revived by fashionistas for 2017. As it is with shearling outerwear, you’ll have plenty of choices when it comes to stylish puffer coats.
- Track Pants: For 2017, track pants are coming out of the gym and into the nearest night clubs and restaurants. No longer relegated to the workout room during the day, wearing track pants to social get-togethers is now acceptable day or night.
If you want to read about the latest street style trends, contact us at Mitchell’sNY to arrange a one-time or regular delivery of your favorite fashion publications to your location today.