Mitchell's NY Blog
July 11, 2019
It’s a $1.4 trillion — and growing — industry with diverse subsectors and worldwide reach. It links air, water, ground and rail transportation across an organized, integrated chain. It coordinates in-transport storage and services nearly every type of manufacturing operation, domestic and abroad.
It’s professional freight forwarding, and it plays a starring role in moving cargo to and from markets every single day.
The freight forwarding process is specialized and multifaceted. In this beginner’s guide to freight forwarding, we’re breaking down what professional freight forwarding is, how freight forwarding companies work, how to go about choosing a freight forwarder for your merchandise movements, delivering better solutions and much more.
What Is Freight Forwarding in Shipping?
The most straightforward definition of freight forwarders is individuals or agencies that manage the transportation of merchandise from the point of production through the final point of distribution.
Otherwise known as non-vessel operating carriers, freight forwarders manage these distribution networks for both imported and exported goods. Professional freight forwarders are the individuals or companies helming these end-to-end transportation and delivery services, handling the significant logistics, insurance and compliance concerns that come with long-distance cargo freighting.
One significant distinction between freight forwarders and other material-handling and shipping operations is that freight forwarders do not typically own the transportation vessels used during organized transport. Instead, professional freight forwarders act as third-party intermediaries between producers and carriers, ensuring a producer’s goods get where they need to be, when they need to be there. They also take care of the considerable import and export logistics that go with ground, rail, sea or air distance shipping — including documentation, regulatory compliance, insurance, carrier billings and much more. And unlike the broader logistics and supply chain management industries, freight forward is only concerned with the couriering of physical commercial goods.
The Role of a Freight Forwarder
Experienced freight forwarding manages a few core responsibilities.
- Speed: Freight forwarders pick the most economical carrier route to get your merchandise to market. They consider every point along the entire distribution route, selecting appropriate land, air and sea carriers offering the best prices at the most efficient delivery timetable.
- Security: Freight forwarders manage many aspects of cargo security, beginning with adequate insurance against freight loss, damage or theft, as well as compliant cargo inspections, declaration documents and en-route oversight.
- Cost: Freight forwarders function by finding the best level of services for your transportation needs among today’s web of national and international shipping carriers. Their knowledge of carrier networks primes them to find the best deals through contract negotiations, load consolidation strategies, bulk shipment deals and much more, all cutting down your freight charge expenditures.
- Reliability: Freight forwarders select the carriers with the most direct, intuitive routes, modes of transportation and port access for your shipping arc. Professional freight forwarders offer guaranteed arrival times in their service contracts, consolidate your goods into single loads of transport whenever possible and monitor every stop along a route until your merchandise reaches its endpoints.
- Peace of mind: Expert freight forwarders handle the majority of your compliance and regulatory requirements related to international and domestic shipments. These are significant, with many manufacturers choosing to outsource this aspect of transportation logistics from an economical perspective as well as for their peace of mind.
A freight forwarder’s main functions include the following services.
- Tracking: Experienced freight forwarders track cargo across the full transport route, with knowledge of where that cargo is at all times, en route or in temporary storage.
- Packing: Freight forwarders prepare your merchandise for optimal transportation conditions, beginning with crating. Crate-packing strategies ensure merchandise is padded and secured while still configured for optimal spatial usage. Shipped cargo also gets properly labeled and itemized according to import and export packing lists.
- Documentation: Freight forwarders offer complete inventory management and payment documentation, including documents for declarations, import and export lists, commercial invoices, certificate of origin statements, inspection documentation, licenses, the bill of lading contract plus more duties, customs and clearance papers that may be involved in your shipping process.
- Warehousing: Professional freight forwarders oversee any necessary in-transit merchandise storage in warehouses or distribution centers across the transportation route. Most do not own the storage warehouses used across transit, relying instead on existing warehousing networks and partnerships.
- Bookings: Freight forwarders handle the often complex booking chain associated with reserving cargo space on carrier planes, ships, trains and trucks. They compile the necessary booking documents alongside contract management of carrier reservations.
- Pricing: As your import and export shipping partner, freight forwarders negotiate your overall freight charges, as well as documenting billings through transparent invoices and bill of lading contracts.
- Consolidation: The freight forwarding process seeks ways to safely yet functionally consolidate relevant freight along shipment routes, which results in cargo discounts, streamlined freight collection and overall reduced fares.
- Insurance: Freight forwarders acquire appropriate levels of cargo insurance for your shipped merchandise. In the event of an accident, it is also the freight forwarding company who files and manages insurance claims. Cargo insurance can be a complex and time-consuming domain for businesses to manage internally, particularly once international shipping operations — and the subsequent customs, inspections, taxes, licenses and more — come into the picture.
What Industries Use Professional Freight Forwarders?
Any organization producing goods that require cargo transport will be involved in some aspect of freight forwarding. In particular, merchandise producers and manufacturers whose products demand international shipping benefit greatly from working with a freight forwarder, as that forwarder handles the vast network of shipping carriers and vendors necessary to get items to their final destination.
You’ll find professional freight forwarding services participating in the transportation and warehousing of:
- Consumer goods
- Furniture and appliances
- Agricultural products
- Manufacturing components
- Metal ores, minerals and fabricated metals
- Coal and petroleum
- Industrial machinery
- Time-sensitive shipments
- Temperature-controlled cargo
- And much, much more
How Does a Freight Forwarding Company Work?
The freight forwarding process is multi-stepped and involves many parties. The role of the freight forwarder is to step in and act as a simplifying mediator, managing the complete shipment of your cargo across multiple transportation carriers, customs officials and handlers.
This multi-staged freight forwarding process flow chart generally breaks down into seven stages.
1. Export Haulage
Export haulage is the first action in freight forwarding and consists of your goods being moved from their point of production to the initial distribution warehouse. These distribution warehouses may or may not be owned by the freight forwarder themselves, depending on initial transportation distance. Overall, the export haulage stage is typically still domestic, involving truck or train merchandise transport.
2. Items Checkpoint
Items checkpoint is when the freight forwarders or their field agents formally receive and itemize your cargo. This step triggers proper packaging, itemizing and labeling activities, as well as early-stage documentation of import and export lists, plus any extra cargo insurance coverage. Now, cargo will get packaged and prepared for domestic or extended international transport.
3. Export Customs Clearance
As its title suggests, export customs clearance is when international shipments of cargo receive official permission to leave their country of origin. Freight forwarders procure the necessary certificates of origin for this clearance after submitting cargo-detailing paperwork to customs agents. They can then move onto negotiating carrier reservations and final contracts.
4. Origin Handling
Origin handling is the process by which carriers along the transportation route open, reseal, inspect and validate cargo, as well as reviewing booking documents.
Origin handling occurs during extended cargo transport, since different transportation vendors across trucks, ships, planes and trains load and unload cargo multiple times.
5. Import Customs Clearance
Import customs clearance occurs when international cargo arrives at its final country of distribution. Local customs agents inspect physical cargo as well as cargo documentation. Approved merchandise can legally get transported off ports and through smaller, regional distribution networks.
6. Destination Arrival and Handling
Destination arrival consists of the administration and movement of cargo once it’s cleared customs. Most notably, this means shipments can now travel to relevant import warehouses and distribution channels along its transportation route until they reach their destination.
During the destination arrival and handling phase, freight forwarders also receive all carrier-related documents, including carrier bills, outstanding inspection documents and any remaining transportation invoices.
7. Import Haulage
Last but not least, import haulage delivers the cargo to its endpoint recipient. It is the final stage of the freight forwarding process and signals the completion of a successful extended freight shipment.
When to Use a Freight Forwarding Service
There are several scenarios where businesses stand to benefit from partnering with a professional freight forwarder.
1. You’re Scaling Up
Producers who need access to more modes of transportation are prime candidates to begin vetting freight forwarders.
More specifically, organizations whose end-to-end shipping needs — even certain domestic ones — now require the use of air, rail, ground and waterway passage can navigate these new transportation modes more straightforwardly and cost-effectively through the assistance of a freight forwarder. Rather than take on transportation vendor management alone, a freight forwarder vets your burgeoning transportation carriers, makes bookings and handles billings, all so you can concentrate on scaling up quality outputs.
2. You’re Importing and Exporting Internationally
Introducing your merchandise to foreign markets is an exciting development for any business. Getting those products there, however, can be a different story.
A freight forwarder’s expertise takes care of the complete gamut of international shipping and trade operations. They manage the logistics of customs regulations, port controls, paperwork, licensing and inventory inspections, which are formidable undertakings and can take years of field experience to properly navigate.
3. To Increase ROIs
Specialization saves producers money. In today’s ever-competitive manufacturing marketplace, the shipping discounts alone make freight forwarding services a game-changer for commercial goods manufacturers, even after factoring in forwarder’s rates. What’s more, expert freight forwarders offer additional services like cargo consolidation consulting and methods of international payment management.
When these domains are off your plate, your business can prioritize increasing production without sacrificing quality or integrity. As a result, businesses can see per-unit fixed costs of production run decrease — all while expanding market reach.
4. You Want an Expert
Freight forwarders handle both the primary and secondary services associated with the international shipping industry. From one convenient vendor, your business has a cargo partner offering guidance and administration into end-to-end cargo long-distance imports and export operations, including:
- Cargo insurance
- Customs inspections
- Customs documentation
- Compliant packing and itemization
- Bills of lading services
- Banking and international payment services
- Guaranteed date of delivery
- And more
A freight forwarding company’s thorough shipping expertise also provides strengthened risk assessments and risk management. These are premiums in the international shipping industry, where businesses lose between $15 to $30 billion annually to see less than 20% of all stolen cargo ever recovered. Businesses protect their goods as well as their reputation with the services of a good freight forwarder.
Choosing a Freight Forwarder
How should your organization go about selecting a freight forwarder?
Consider the following selection best practices when vetting and picking a freight forwarding service.
- Specialization: Does the freight forwarder specialize in a specific kind of cargo? What about a subsector of the manufacturing industry, such as textiles, plastics or apparel? What about international market specialization, which could be particularly beneficial if your business is entering into a new country? Many freight forwarders will focus on one of these categories, either cargo, industry or market. Identify freight forwarders who fit your exact market niche or merchandise shipping needs.
- Warehousing network/storage capacities: Larger forwarding companies may own a warehouse, which comes in handy during the destination arrival and handling step of the freight forwarding process. However, this isn’t always the case. Other forwarders outsource all storage and warehousing to their network of partners to maximize their asset expenses and use. Depending on your distribution routes, a freight forwarder with regional warehouses may be more attractive than those without.
- Agents and business partner network: Given the global emphasis of the industry, many freight forwarders operate a network of field agents stationed in various international markets. These location-specific agents provide country-specific import and export expertise, as well as represent your freight forwarding partner to customs. It’s imperative for a freight forwarding service to have connections in the appropriate markets you wish to import or export your goods.
- Freight broker bonds: International forwarders must hold a freight broker bond to obtain and renew their licenses. Appropriate regulatory authorities issue these bonds after a complete financial and operational vetting of the freight company. Bonds assure companies are financially stable as well as legally compliant in their shipping operations,
Experienced Freight Forwarding and Logistics Company in NYC
Looking for help with any of the following activities?
- Full-service merchandise crating and packing
- National freight forwarding from New York City business locations
- Climate-controlled warehousing in the tri-state area
- White-glove delivery for fragile or high-value merchandise
- Trade show or special event freight forwarding
Mitchell’sNY Logistics is one of New York City’s premier delivery and logistics services. With more than 70 years of experience under our belt, we offer crating and freight forwarding services as well as complete supply chain logistics for companies with shipping needs in all 50 states. We pride ourselves in Delivering Better Solutions, so much so that our clients regularly call us logicians! Contact one of our customer care representatives with questions or to request a quote.
June 5, 2019
Every organization manages business logistics, because every business, regardless of industry, age, scale or specialization, must at some point get its goods and services from point A to point B. That coordination of movements makes up the backbone of contemporary business logistics — and it’s more essential to master than ever. What are the functions of logistics management and their importance? What is the importance of logistics management? We’ll answer those questions and more in this article.
What Is Business Logistics?
The business logistics definition is the complete distribution control of inventory, from its procurement to its point of consumption.
In other words, it’s the workflows and oversight of an item as it moves from initial production and procurement to its final usage application and consumption, typically in the hands of a consumer.
Business logistics involves multiple domains or processes. Business logistics implementation, therefore, focuses on making these multi-step, end-to-end inventory flows more efficient, cost-effective and convenient for its parent organization.
Organizations can choose to either handle the essentials of business logistics entirely in-house, or outsource process domains to a third-party business logistics partner (3PL). Depending on the nature of your inventory, the scale of your business and the fluidity of your cash flows, a 3PL provider may be more beneficial than keeping all business logistics in-house. Continue reading for more on this 3PL option.
The Role of Business Logistics
How do logistics companies work? True business logistics makes organizations leaner and more profitable. It grants broader visibility over the movement of merchandise from construction to consumption, identifying infrastructure and operational practices that help or hinder that smooth, cost-effective distribution.
It’s impossible to overstate the benefits of business logistics systems or the importance of distribution logistics. While businesses get a fresh set of strategies informing improved internal operations, they also learn which aspects of their duties they currently handle well, and which require new or updated systems.
We can break down the importance of logistics in supply chain management into a set of inbound and outbound domains, including the following.
- Material sourcing: The procurement and distribution of raw materials or smaller, individual components that eventually get fabricated into a finished product, thus triggering product flows into the rest of the business logistics cycle.
- Transportation: The actual distribution and movements of goods between locations, arranging both inbound and outbound transportation as well as shipping methods, timeframes and any assistance from transportation 3PLs.
- Order fulfillment: The management and delivery of customer orders from their points of purchase up to final delivery at the expressed point of consumption. Order fulfillment often introduces unique software tools into business logistics, including order management softwareand international order fulfillment supply chains.
- Warehousing: The storage of goods across the entire supply chain spectrum. Warehousing most often includes the physical infrastructure and operations involved in ready-to-order inventory storage and merchandise returns, streamlined in a comprehensive warehouse management system.
- Demand forecasting: The practice of preemptively managing the cycles of consumer supply and demand, timing inventory flows to better match seasonal shifts in consumer interest and order fulfillment rates.
- Inventory management: The day-to-day oversight of physical goods and products handled across warehouses. Inventory management shares many responsibilities and domains with order fulfillment and material handling as well as demand forecasting, using inventory management systems and order processing software to perform high-level executive inventory operations.
- Supply chain management: A similar term that widens the lens to focus on broader business practices and additional lateral operations that streamline product flows and generate leaner bottom lines. Supply chain management strategies often complement and take on the overall essentials of business logistics, though the two aren’t synonymous.
What Is Logistics Management?
Why is logistics important for business success? There are numerous benefits to improving your organization’s business logistics strategies and maximizing its product flows.
1. Enhances Visibility
Business logistics managers have the duty of reviewing distribution and transportation controls in a new, strategic lens. Distribution domains can often get pushed to the side, particularly when organizations overcompensate on the front-end design, testing and production of its goods. While these are vital processes and essential to solidifying brand market share, businesses must still face the reality that if they can’t get those superiorly tested and designed products or services to customers in a timely, efficient and cost-effective way, they won’t stay in business for long.
2. Reduces Overhead Costs
Savvy business logistics strategies help trim the fat on many previously overlooked carrying and storage expenses. Through domains like inventory management and demand forecasting, organizations can tailor far more strategic inbound and outbound shipping schedules, shipping methods, routes and more, which in turn allows money to be saved or allocated elsewhere. Key overhead costs reduced through business logistics efforts include:
- Storage and inventory holding calculations
- Purchasing expenses
- Per-unit production costs
- Fixed-asset expenses, such as warehouses, vehicles, etc.
- Total supply chain expenditures
All the while, business logistics improve:
- Cash flows
- Order fulfillment rates
- Delivery times
- Net profits
3. Better Manages Physical Resources
Resource distribution and management is a defining variable in your organization’s competitive edge. The more cost-effective you can move and store your raw materials and completed products alike, the more profit you put back in your pocket. Leveraging your organization’s physical resources — from storage warehousing and equipment to other fixed-assets like delivery vehicles — ensures you’re using product flow resources to the best of your abilities.
4. Improves Your Customers’ Experience
Consumers cite a few essentials when it comes to ordering products that ship directly to them: ease of browsing, safe payment methods, positive product reviews and the overall quality of a good or service upon arrival. They also frequently say how crucial it is to have a swift and straightforward experience receiving their ordered goods or services — they want their orders arriving promptly and on time, plus expect clear communication from your organization the moment they place that order to the second they sign off on its package.
When your organization fails to meet these delivery expectations, customer satisfaction can hemorrhage. It’s the role of business logistics to ensure that doesn’t happen.
5. Bolsters a Stronger Organizational Structure
Siloed departments are a significant and widespread pain point in the warehousing industry. Often, the systematic nature of operations can leave teams performing with a “business-as-usual” mindset rather than enacting more fluid communication tactics and collaborative structures.
As a byproduct of greater product flow visibility, individual departments and teams at your organization can grow far more coordinated. Logistics and supply chain management technology, like inventory management programs or order fulfillment software, creates a single, go-to repository for all stakeholders to access logistics data and make informed decisions. Org structures sharpen as a result.
6. Gives You a Competitive Edge
Business logistics — along with its cousin, supply chain management — can genuinely turn an organization into a lean, mean, efficient delivery and distribution machine. Businesses have new insights into every touchpoint along a product or service’s flow, from fabrication to delivery, storage, tracking, transportation and, finally, end consumption.
As a result of this visibility and tailored logistics adjustments, order fulfillment rates improve, fewer lost or damaged items occur and customers receive their shipments seamlessly. It is the bedrock of logistics and supply chain management at its best, ultimately lending your business its distinct competitive edge.
What Is Logistics and Supply Chain Management?
While certain aspects of business logistics and supply chain management overlap, they’re two separate functions describing differing responsibilities. So, what is the difference between logistics and supply chain?
The essentials of supply chain management encompass an organization’s broader processes managing and executing the product lifecycle to maximize profitability. Supply chain management shapes a business’ practices for competitive advantages across its entire interconnected departments and operations, plus accounts for outside vendor or third-party contractor management.
Business logistics, however, concentrates almost exclusively on internal product flows — specifically, domains like product transportation, distribution, warehousing and delivery. It is nearly always an internally focused activity with an onus to maximize product movements, whether those are physical or service goods.
How to Get Started With the Essentials of Business Logistics
Looking for a place to start sharpening your organization’s logistics — or a guide to vet potential third-party logistics partners? Consider these domains as entry points strengthening many of the areas and functions essential to high-functioning business logistics.
Spatial management in business logistics ensures you’re using your current storage and warehousing space to its fullest — while looking toward the future. Review the following:
- Storage facility’s proximity to transportation and distribution centers — airports, railroads, major highway systems, etc.
- Storage facility’s current size and capacities, reviewing square footage, layout, rack usage, functionality and more
- Projected facility size and capacities, accounting for inventory flows, seasonal order variability and proper use of lateral and vertical space
- Inventory organization across tactical flow racks
- Warehousing traffic flows and controls, measuring for ease, efficiency and intuitiveness
- Warehouse adherence to industry storage standards and compliance mandates
2. Management and Staffing
Without skilled and proficient staff managing end-to-end business logistics domains — as well as strong employee-retention and training programs — it will be much harder to reap the full benefits of your internal logistics strategies.
Consider these staffing and management personnel factors:
- A qualified business logistics manager or team of managers with relevant qualifications and experience
- A clear organizational chart of roles and responsibilities
- High employee turnover rates, which signal cultural as well as operational issues that need addressing
- Hiring and onboarding protocols
- Motivational programs and incentivization tiers, including bonuses, prizes, expanded benefits and more
- Professional development and growth opportunities across technical and administrative training
Alongside personnel, your logistics-related equipment is the next most crucial domain in running an effective logistics pipeline. Does your organization own or have immediate access to the following business logistics-critical equipment across day-to-day transportation workflows?
- Inbound storage equipment and stations, including scanning, labeling, binding, taping and itemization
- Outbound equipment and stations, such as packaging, labeling and shipping stations outfitted with scales
- Compliant warehousing floor equipment, from forklifts and pallet jacks to conveyor belts, cranes and hoists
- Proper pallet racks and shelving types, flow rack arrangement
4. IT Infrastructure
Regardless of industry or products, your IT infrastructure acts as a foundation for business logistics. Without it, your staff won’t have the tools needed for complete delivery and storage system visibility, as well as data informing which logistics processes work and which need to be tweaked.
For high-functioning logistics management, your organization will likely need:
- RFID or voice-controlled inventory identification system
- Inventory management system
- Yard management system
- Freight tracking and delivery schedule
- Document management system
- Internal and external file transfer methods
- Order management system
- Overall IT infrastructure cybersecurity, network and asset defenses
5. Additional Considerations
Other processes directly contribute to the successful outcomes of logistics operations, processes such as:
- Division of duties between logistics coordinators, middle management and warehouse and distribution personnel
- How well all employees understand those roles and responsibilities in the organization structure, including chains of command and communication flows
- Proactive theft and damage-remediation procedures on warehoused inventory and orders
- Logistics-based benchmarking programs, compiling data and reviewing overall the overall impact of movement and material handling changes
- Available budgets and resources to commit to reworking internal logistics
Benefits of Logistics Outsourcing
Given the ever-competitive nature of the manufacturing and warehousing industry, many organizations turn to third-party logistics companies to simplify their distribution and fulfillment workflows, therefore concentrating internal resources. As it turns out, 86% of Fortune 500 companies and 96% of Fortune 100 companies use 3PLs for routine aspects of supply chain management.
Integrating a 3PL into your supply chain is a strategic choice that, when done carefully, introduces many competitive advantages.
1. Simplified Operational Workflows Cut Costs
Organizations with 3PL partnerships routinely cite the benefits of a leaner, simpler set of domains they must personally execute.
Upfront, this translates into a reduced — if not eliminated — investment in on-premise logistics equipment, staff and storage space. It also means less overhead managing off-premise and field operations, such as outbound vehicles like delivery or freight trucks.
Downstream, organizations experience cost benefits like volume discounts, freight consolidation and more competitive shipping rates. The 3PL should also handle the vast majority of supply chain paperwork, billings and shipping documentation. Each of these further catalyzes your organization’s overhead savings, all while doing less work.
2. Specialized Expertise
A 3PL’s existence functions entirely around business logistics. They may specialize in a particular logistics domain, such as distribution logistics, or provide more robust, point-of-origin to point-of-delivery services.
In either scenario, you benefit from the knowledge and expertise of qualified industry veterans. Organizations are far less likely to experience supply-chain mishaps and on-premise accidents when fewer logistics operations take place on your grounds and experts facilitate developments.
3. Increased Order Execution Volumes, At-Demand Scalability
The industry rule of thumb suggests organizations completing more than 10 to 20 orders a day should begin looking into 3PLs. That’s because, at these volumes, organizations see higher ROIs by specializing their operations and concentrating on core product and servicing activities — not spreading internal resources to singularly manage the entire end-to-end supply chain. Plus, the more productive a company’s volumes, the lower its overall per-unit fixed costs.
These volumes also position organizations to begin experiencing profit margins that can handle the changes to 3PL shipping expenses. Those changes are ultimately profitable, with organizations able to take the money and reinvest it into production scalability and quicker order fulfillment, all while dramatically cutting their overhead expenditures.
In short, you save when you specialize, and 3PLs help you do so.
Find Your Local Supply Chain and Logistics Partner
Mitchell’sNY Logistics is a leader in New York City-based shipping and warehousing and one of the premier 3PLs in the tri-state area.
We’ve called NYC our home for over 70 years, and in those seven-plus decades, have built an extensive national and international shipping and distribution network. We manage a full suite of business logistics services, including:
- Warehousing and storage
- Pick-and-pack order fulfillment
- Warehouse management and facility consulting
- Local, national and international shipping and delivery
- And more
Explore our extensive catalog of warehousing, delivery and distribution business logistics services, then contact a Michell’sNY rep to get started.
May 1, 2019
When you visit any famous place for the first time, you want to see all the big tourist spots first. In New York City, some of those sites include the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, the Empire State Building, Times Square and Broadway. But, it’s always fun to experience a new place like you’re a local, too. When visiting New York City, feel free to check out those notable destinations, but don’t miss out on the attractions and restaurants in the city that the locals love.
Places to Go
New York City’s most famous attractions have become hotspots due to the surplus of tourists visiting those places. On the other hand, here are a few NYC places only locals know about:
- The Cloisters: Located in Fort Tyron Park, the Cloisters are a part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art that has collections of artwork, architecture and artifacts from Medieval Europe. The building itself was constructed in a style that was common from the 12th to the 15th centuries. The old stone, arched entries and looming tower will make you feel like you’ve gone back in time. There’s also a peaceful, secluded garden.
- The High Line: New York City has many famous parks, but none are like the High Line. This one-mile long green space was constructed on a historic freight line, elevated above street level. Take a walk and enjoy the beautiful views. The High Line goes from 34th Street to Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District.
- The Morgan Library: If you’re a lover of literature, this museum is a must-visit. The library’s artifacts are made up of Piermont Morgan’s collection of historical manuscripts, early printed books and old sketches and prints. There are also artifacts from Egypt and the Near East that are evidence of the earliest forms of writing. The Morgan Library is a bookworm’s paradise.
Places to Eat
One of the best things about visiting a new area is the chance to try new foods. New York City has its famous restaurants, but consider checking out one of these spots that the locals rave about:
- Katz’s Delicatessen: Located in Lower Manhattan, this deli is renowned among residents. The long line is definitely worth it — they give you delicious, huge portions. It’s an excellent stop for lunch to fuel up while you’re doing all that walking around the city.
- Panna II Garden Indian Restaurant: Visit this restaurant to get great Indian food at an even better price. You can spend around $20 and get a three-course meal while enjoying the bright, colorful decor.
- Joe’s Pub at the Public Theater: Catch dinner and a show at this unique spot, which offers delicious food and drinks, as well as performances from a variety of acts. You could see musicians, comedians, dancers and many others.
When you’re visiting a new place, it’s fun to see the famous sites for yourself. But usually, your best memories are of the more unique experiences you have. The next time you visit New York City, try seeing the city like a local by checking out these destinations for food and entertainment.
April 15, 2019
Buying birthday gifts can be challenging. We know just how hard it can be to find that perfect present. That’s why we created this guide on where to find the best birthday gifts in New York City.
Surprise Your Friends With Food and Cooking Gifts
Does your friend or family member love food, baking or trying out new recipes in their kitchen? If so, gifting them an addition to their cooking repertoire or a basket of their favorite gourmet foods is an excellent option.
Head over to Fishs Eddy to find fun and unique cooking supplies, as well as some tasty snacks! Taking a trip to Eately may also result in the perfect cheese basket or medley of Italian goodies.
If the person you’re shopping for loves trying new drinks, you can even give the gift of beverage delivery. Choose from a selection of unique teas, sodas, milk and other beverages that are sure to impress your loved one.
Shop the Finest Jewelry and Fashion
For fashion and jewelry lovers, receiving a new pair of stylish earrings or a trendy sweater will make their big day. Bloomingdales and Saks Fifth Avenue both have a generous selection of affordable jewelry and clothing. For unique necklace and ring finds, visit Verameat, a popular artisan jewelry shop featuring trendy designs.
Quirky Birthday Gifts With Fast Delivery
For interesting and extraordinary birthday gifts, take a peek into ABC Carpet. This store sells almost everything and provides an exciting shopping experience. Wander rooms overflowing with jewelry, home decor, books, coffee mugs — the list goes on and on. Essentially, you will find everything you didn’t know you needed at ABC Carpet. So, why not surprise your friend with something they’ve been missing out on?
Give the Gift of Experience
If you’re the type who loves new experiences, giving an experiential present to your friend or family member will add an unforgettable memory to their mind. Here is a list of the top five New York City activities:
- A cooking class at the Insititute of Culinary Education
- A museum, like the MET, MoMA, Whitney or Guggenheim
- A Broadway show
- A New York beer and brewery tour
- A picnic with friends and food in Central Park
Surprise the Reader in Your Life
When you need a gift for your friend or family member who just always seems to be reading, Mitchell’sNY can supply all the books and magazines they could ever want. With thousands of titles to choose from, you can find options no matter the birthday boy or girl’s taste and preferences. Plus, we’ll deliver them right to their doorstep every morning, so they never have to leave the house to get the reading material they need.
Looking for Last-Minute New York Package Delivery You Can Trust?
We know life can get busy and that sometimes, the birthday you need a gift for creeps up on you. If this ever happens, Mitchell’sNY is here to ensure your gift gets delivered on time. Even if you place your order last minute, we’ll find a way to pick it up and drop it off where it needs to go. Our company’s last-mile delivery solution is also ideal if you’re ordering gifts on a large scale. Mitchell’sNY has a streamlined delivery process that will put all your package delivery worries to rest.
Why Choose Mitchell’sNY as Your New York City Courier
If you have a package that requires rushed service, our one-hour emergency package delivery options will save the day. Our New York City courier service will ship your last-minute gifts fast while saving you travel time and money. If you have any questions, contact us today.
March 19, 2019
The Big Apple has a big number of event deliveries prepped, shipped and distributed every hour of every day. From the items needed for the grand opening ceremony of a department store to an international conference in a Midtown hotel to major annual events that define entire industries, such as New York City Fashion Week, the city has a constant influx of newly arrived equipment and materials.
Many deliveries are too big, too vital or too valuable to leave to chance. That’s where logistics couriers come in.
Mitchell’sNY Logistics is a full-service white glove delivery company that’s called New York City its home for decades. We see a successful delivery as more than getting objects from point A to point B. It’s about parcel peace of mind. We have options suitable for your logistics needs all over the city.
When to Use Specialized White Glove Delivery in New York City
There are an array of situations and events where specialized white glove delivery logistics are the preferred service. From the level of attention they provide to the service perks and amenities, Mitchell’sNY Logistics can assist with any of the following tasks.
1. Trade Show Transportation and Exhibit Shipping
Companies that attend industry events like trade shows require extensive event-planning coordination and execution. White glove transportation outfits like Mitchell’sNY Logistics offer thorough trade show trucking, shipping and delivery management to companies’ trade show locations. You get the items you need, when you need them, plus additional services such as:
- Trade show booth storage
- Trade show booth assembly
- Specialty equipment storage and installation
- Temperature-controlled delivery of frozen foods or catered meals
- Overall trade show transport logistics
2. Major Industry Events, Public Expos Shipping and Set Up
New York City is a premier destination for regional, national and even international conferences. It’s a mecca for large-scale business and public events, from New York Fashion Week and New York Comic-Con to world-renowned industry events like the International Restaurant & Foodservice Show and Javits Center expo lineup. Few cities boast the same caliber of conferences and events. Having white-glove trade show delivery companies with the logistics know-how to pull them off can lower your stress levels.
Mitchell’sNY Logistics can assist with:
- Expo shipping and set up
- Specialty expo equipment storage and installation
- Refrigerated trucks delivery in NYC
- Exhibit transfer services
3. Fragile or High-Value Item Transportation
Our New York City motor delivery ensures valuables are properly padded and sealed during transport, as well as shipped using appropriate boxes and crate types. This level of shipment care is especially important for rented equipment or high-value goods and merchandise, such as:
- Artwork, like sculptures and paintings
- Audio and video equipment
- Lighting systems
- Musical instruments
- Robotics and electronics
- Rare artifacts or memorabilia
- Glass, porcelain, pottery, crystal and fine chinaware sets
- Event decor
- Theater stage pieces or exhibit sets
4. Same-Day Delivery of NYC Gifts and Packages
Expedited or last-minute gifts require a delivery service that’ll get the parcel to its recipient promptly and professionally. In New York City, that’s no small feat. Mitchell’sNY Logistics offers time-sensitive deliveries, including late-night, early-morning and weekend couriers available year round. Our staff can also pick up gifts from nearly any NYC shop or store, then deliver the items straight to their recipient in appropriate packaging. We also offer rush shipping for Manhattan deliveries that can be completed in two hours.
5. Frozen Food Delivery and Refrigerated Food Logistics
Temperature-controlled delivery ensures perishable items are fresh or still frozen upon delivery. Mitchell’sNY Logistics is one of the premier refrigerated trucks and cold-storage hold operations in NYC, featuring a line of refrigerated vans and trucks with adjustable temperatures, up to 65 degrees Fahrenheit, to match the needs of its cargo. We can transport food as well as flowers, medical supplies and other things that need to stay cool. Our en-route and on-site refrigeration transportation have serviced:
- Trade shows and expos
- Industry conferences
- Business gatherings
- Local and national temperature-controlled freight forwarding
6. Bulky, Oversized or Heavy-Item Delivery
White-glove delivery logistics help arrange and execute heavy or oversized cargo deliveries, the kinds an ordinary mail or shipping service would charge exorbitant fees on. The quality of service and customer care at the heart of white-glove logistics also means step-by-step attention across the entirety of transporting oversized event-items.
Heavy or bulky equipment deliveries are common for many of New York City’s signature events. Think runways and lighting fixtures for fashion shows, booth displays and exhibits for industry conferences, stages for concerts and venue entertainment, event furniture for conference meals and so much more — all of which can be sourced, shipped and set up by the Mitchell’sNY Logistics staff. We regularly outfit events with:
- Unassembled furniture
- Fully assembled furniture
- Large lighting fixtures
- Sound systems and musical equipment
- Industrial or commercial machinery
- Medical equipment
- Stages, sets and displays
- Tables and chairs
- Bulk decorations
- Trade show booths
7. Coast-to-Coast and New York City Trucking
While many trucking companies only have the resources to focus on regional or national shipments, Mitchell’sNY Logistics can do both.
Motor parcel delivery — including large packages 11 pounds and up — can deliver items in and around Manhattan within a two-hour delivery window. Hand-delivered message and parceling services are also available in the city, ideal for business documents, gifts or high-value packages. These run on a standard, two-hour delivery schedule but can be upgraded to a one-hour rush delivery if needed.
Likewise, Mitchell’sNY Logistics’ nationwide deliveries offer fast, efficient and professional trucking for coast-to-coast shipments. National trucking is ideal for companies and groups sponsoring out-of-town industry events, retreats, conferences, specialty gatherings and more, which require bulk item transportation as well as possible add-ons like refrigerated trucks, warehousing holds and en-route or overnight destination storage. We offer a full range of industry-leading courier and delivery services as well as white-glove amenities.
8. Pre- or Post-Event Storage Services
As part of our Convenience Services package, Mitchell’sNY Logistics offers a full lineup of personalized item packaging and storage solutions. These services add the white-glove “touch” for our New York City shipping and transportation clients, filling in the details of successful item transportation for your industry or private event. Pre- and post-event storage services include:
- Packing and crating for storage
- Secure temporary storage within our NYC facility
- Secure long-term storage within our NYC facility
- Conveniently located Long Island warehouse and distribution center
- Optional refrigerated storage and frozen food delivery
- Transportation to and from Mitchell’sNY Logistics storage centers and warehouses
- Flexible and scalable pallet storage offerings
- Overall supply chain management oversight
9. Pre- or Post-Event Clean-Up Services
An extension of our white glove delivery and courier offerings, Mitchell’sNY Logistics can lend additional staff to help disassemble, clean up and return a venue to its original state. Our staff is available for extra hands-on work after your trade show or expo. We can repackage and transport items you intend to re-use or repurpose, delivering them to your storage facilities or housing them in our Long Island client warehouse. Our pre- and post-event clean up covers:
- Trade show exhibit disassembly and transportation
- Electronics, sound system and lighting fixture disassembly and transportation
- Stage or set take down
- Bulk decoration clean up
- Furniture breakdowns and rearrangements
- Van and truck fleets to service offsite transportation
- Disposal services, transporting garbage and boxes from your event’s premises to municipal recycling centers and scrap yards
What Are Specialized or White-Glove Delivery Logistics?
Now that you understand our wide-ranging capabilities, you may want to learn more about the benefits of using specialized delivery logistics. White glove delivery companies offer higher levels of end-to-end servicing for couriered items. While traditional transportation or trucking businesses handle only en-route services, i.e., getting things from distribution centers to homes or businesses, white glove companies do more. They combine aspects of warehousing, packaging, delivery and unloading all in-house, with their own staff, thus creating a more complete, bookended operation for handling specialty shipments to events.
Think of white glove companies in New York as a premium, more personalized delivery service. Mitchell’sNY Logistics offers a white-glove inspired service suite for the city’s trade shows, conferences and more that include the following:
- Order Facilitation: Mitchell’sNY Logistics can handle recurring deliveries for goods like newspapers, magazines, event beverages and food from area restaurants, with clients receiving exclusive deals and discounts.
- Warehousing and Inventory: Our proprietary Long Island warehouse gives us a distribution hub for clients to manage short- and long-distance deliveries, from receiving and storage to packing and courier services.
- Premium Packaging: All items transported through our team receive a white glove packaging treatment, meaning items are matched with proper padding and wrapping materials to ensure damage-free deliveries.
- Van, Truck and Refrigerated Trucks Delivery: We house a fleet of delivery trucks, including Manhattan and other NYC delivery vans that can service parcels within two hours of order receipt, plus 14-foot box vans for larger shipments and 53-foot semi-trailers for bulk freight.
- Event Set Up: Our staff can help unpack and set up heavy, bulky or technical items, such as trade show displays, expo center exhibits, furniture, electronic and audio systems and more — all to make your event get off the ground smoother.
- Residential and Commercial Courier and Messenger Delivery: Small parcels for residential and commercial applications can be delivered via our specialty Manhattan couriers in same-day or rush same-hour deliveries.
- Crating and Freight Logistics: Mitchell’sNY is one of the tri-state area’s leading crating and shipping supplies providers. We regularly handle freight forwarding, bulk and high-value crating services for clients in and around Manhattan to their local and national destinations.
- Supply Chain Management: We provide last-mile logistics, delivery coordination, warehousing services and more from supply chain management professionals making sure your company’s deliveries are done on time, every time.
- Mailroom Facility Management: Get more efficient, knowledgeable mailroom or message center operations at a fraction of the cost of traditional mailrooming — without sacrificing quality.
How Do White Glove Delivery Company Logistics Work?
Logistics-focused white glove companies take a holistic approach to their delivery operations and customer service. With elements of warehousing, crating, transportation, delivery and order procurement, they go beyond the traditional siloed activities of most of today’s shipping companies to be a “one-stop shop” for all things delivery.
Our process at Mitchell’sNY Logistics follows this approach. Clients of our white glove delivery logistics can participate in a range of end-to-end parcel services we provide.
1. Ordering and Inventory
Mitchell’sNY has decades of experience providing weekly and daily deliveries of our core order inventory, including local and international newspapers, magazines, restaurant orders, beverages, supplies and more, to commercial, residential and hospital clients. Client orders can be placed online or over the phone, then managed in personalized digital accounts.
2. Specialty Packing
White-glove packaging means every item is prepped, packed and transported using proper materials and appropriate vessels. When parcels arrive at their destination, they are as pristine as when they left the packaging center — no dents, scratches, scuffs, breaks or shards.
Mitchell’sNY Logistics can also provide packing supplies, from boxes and bubble wrap to moving pallets, tape, dollies and more. Our movers will additionally assist in the packing and unpacking of boxes or crates in their appropriate rooms or venue areas, if necessary.
Our diverse fleet of courier vans, delivery trucks and semis allows us to perform custom white-glove caliber transportation within Manhattan and the tri-state area. This includes specialty transportation services such as temperature-controlled delivery, refrigerated trucks and more.
Besides our reoccurring publications, food and beverage delivery services, Mitchell’sNY Logistics supports extensive on-demand trucking and courier services available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays. We can pick up items or orders at nearly any Manhattan store and delivery them directly to your business or trade show event. Our truck tracking line allows you to call to see where your goods are at any point in the delivery, shipment or move, lending you further peace of mind.
Mitchell’sNY Logistics White Glove Delivery suite means large or bulky items, such as furniture or trade show exhibits, will be transported safely inside your venue — not left on the stoop. Our staff will proceed to then unpack and assemble heavy or laborious items for you. White-glove transportation is particularly great for trade show shipping and delivery in New York City as well as other events involving specialty exhibits, video, audio or lighting equipment.
6. Clean Up
Mitchell’sNY Logistics staff is also available for trade show disassembly, expo and event clean up. We’ll arrive on-site to pick up garbage, containers and bulky items no longer needed, then dispose of them in accordance with municipal laws at recycling centers and city scrap yards.
Because of our supply chain management and in-house warehousing, our white-glove logistics services can also store items for business or event planners. Both long- and short-term storage is available, including overnight storage before and after industry events.
8. Temporary Logistics Staff
Additional Mitchell’sNY staff are available for temporary event logistics, from moving furniture to assembling trade show light systems to installing entire event exhibits.
Contact Mitchell’sNY Logistics for Your Specialty Event and Trade Show Delivery Needs
New York City hosts private and public events every day. From major industry conferences and trade shows to private weddings and parties, these events keep the city moving. You need a transportation logistics company that can keep up.
Mitchell’sNY Logistics pulls from over six decades of experience packing, shipping and planning transportation and delivery services in the tri-state area and beyond. We’re proud of our end-to-end white glove en-route services and love the city we call home — and we want to bring that commitment to all your event logistics needs. We can deliver anything, and we’ve heard it all. We want to assist you with whatever you need.
Chat with one of our representatives today to hear more about our warehousing, storage, event set up, clean up and equipment transportation service suites, as well as supply chain consultations and management.
January 23, 2019
New York City welcomes all kinds of travelers every day. Millions of people from all over the world come to the city for vacations to enjoy the sights, shopping and unique cuisine. You might travel here if you have family in the area, but a big push that gets people to this urban hub is business travel.
If you work for a large corporation, you may be the one who visits its different offices. Or perhaps there’s a large convention or trade show your business wants a representative to attend. Whatever the reason, planning a business trip to the Big Apple can be a little bit overwhelming — especially if you aren’t familiar with the city.
Here are some tips for making your next business trip to NYC even better:
- Know Your Travel Budget: Talk to your supervisor as far in advance as possible about your travel budget to see what you can spend on your accommodations, food and transportation. You don’t want to make all your plans only to learn you overspent on your hotel room and will have to pay for it out of pocket. Make sure you save receipts so you can be reimbursed, too.
- Be Smart With Transportation: When you’re traveling within the city, it may be tempting to take a cab to most places. Taxis may seem like the easiest option, but they may make you late if you encounter traffic — and you probably will. Don’t be afraid of public transportation. The subway is inexpensive and may actually get you to your destination faster than taking a taxi.
- Pick the Best Accommodations: If you’re attending a conference, it’s likely that they reserved a block of rooms in the same hotel for attendees. Even if there are less expensive accommodations somewhere else, it won’t be as convenient, and you’ll likely spend a pretty penny just traveling from the event space to your hotel room. Many hotels in NYC cater to business travelers. You can also consider alternative accommodations to save money, like booking an Airbnb.
- Try Something New: One of the best parts of being in New York City is that you can do and see things that you can’t anywhere else. If you usually skip breakfast, stop by a local diner — there’s probably one not too far from you. You could also head to an art museum that has an exhibit of a style that you know nothing about. Your time off will help you relax and prepare for your next day of meetings, presentations and networking.
- Take Time for Yourself: Even if you’re only in the city for a short time, be sure to take a break. Making the trip entirely about business will burn you out. If you love theater, make sure you see a Broadway show — or at least an off-Broadway production. If you’re a foodie, check out that hot new restaurant you’ve read so much about. Even if you don’t have a lot of free time, try to stop in the hotel’s gym for a quick workout or sit on a bench for a few minutes to people-watch, seeing what New Yorkers are up to.
- Feel at Home: Mitchell’sNY can deliver dozens of magazines and newspapers…from around the world. Mitchell’sNY is a Long Island City-based company specializing in personalized service. Whether traveling from Canada, Germany, France, or anywhere else, business men and women can get their local news delivered right to their hotel room! For updates about The Big Apple, travelers can enjoy flipping through the pages of The New York Times, The New Yorker and Time Out NY. To inquire about a publication, call 1-800-662-2275 or visit the website to view the international magazine or newspaper
January 7, 2019
2018 has flown by, and the time has come again to start thinking about your New Year’s resolutions.
It’s no secret that common resolutions like eating healthy, exercising or losing weight are easier said than done. What if we told you that Mitchell’sNY could help you stick to your resolution with our magazine delivery service?
Ring in your best life in 2019 by signing up for a monthly delivery of healthy lifestyle magazines that match your goals. In case you need some inspiration, we’ve created a list of nine healthy magazines that will help you commit to your New Year’s resolutions.
Health is an all-inclusive fitness magazine for anyone and everyone. It’s the perfect complement for that New Year’s resolution centered on living a productive, healthy, active and engaged lifestyle.
2. Psychology Today
This is the preeminent magazine for everything mental-health related. Psychology Today illuminates trends, findings, studies and information that explain how we behave and think. It’s an ideal publication for resolutions focusing on improved mental health.
3. Eating Well
Eating healthy does not mean sacrificing taste! The editors of this magazine, provide good-for-you recipes that please the taste buds.
4. Runner’s World
Will 2019 be the year you decide to start a running routine? If yes, then Runner’s World will provide all the techniques, reviews, events, tips and motivation you’ll need to be successful.
This one is for women who want to be their best self. Self showcases new makeup looks, workout ideas, healthy-eating tips, and other positively empowering trends.
6. Prevention Magazine
Touted as one of the leading health magazines in the world, Prevention not only focuses on nutrition but also workouts and advice, taking a holistic approach to health.
7. Women’s Health
This healthy lifestyle magazine is for all the strong women planning on committing to their health in 2019. Women’s Health magazine speaks directly to the practical, empowered and modern woman. It dives deep into the fitness trends, concerns and discoveries that impact today’s intelligent, independent and inspiring women.
8. Muscle & Fitness
This magazine is a powerful support tool for men aiming to build muscle and enhance their workouts. Muscle & Fitness includes expert bodybuilding advice, supplement reviews and dietary plan suggestions.
9. Better Homes & Gardens
Not only does this magazine provide satiating recipes, but also gardening tips. Read about how to hone your green thumb and grow hearty vegetables for your next tasty (and healthy) stew!
Ready to Kick Off Your Healthy New Year’s Resolutions?
If you’re inspired to start 2019 strong with a magazine that will support your New Year’s resolution, Mitchell’sNY has good news! Our monthly delivery program offers all the above magazines — plus 10,000 more. Place your order today and get ready to crush those resolutions.
December 4, 2018
Some days, life is busy.
Despite our best intentions, time slips away from us, and we don’t have time to do all the shopping, cooking or cleaning that we planned. When you live in New York City, the problem is compounded — in a city that never sleeps, finding extra time is even more difficult.
Fortunately, more and more businesses are rolling out same-day delivery for an enormous range of products and services. From karaoke machines to puppies, New York City has a company that can bring you what you need — delivered straight to your door.
1. A Karaoke Machine
Are you hosting a party and want to have karaoke, but can’t justify owning the machine year-round?
A New York-based company, Karaoke Champ, is the solution you’ve been looking for. The same day you place your order, they will bring all the necessary equipment and deliver it directly to your door. Karaoke Champ delivers to all of New York City and also services surrounding areas for an extra travel fee.
Perfect for karaoke enthusiasts, Karaoke Champ allows you to enjoy karaoke in the comfort of your home. For your next party, splurge on a fun addition that is guaranteed to bring your friends out of their shells.
2. Foreign Newspapers and Magazines
Sometimes, your favorite magazine or go-to newspaper originates overseas. In many cities, getting your foreign publications delivered consistently and on-time can be a frustrating juggling act of international fees and shipping rates paired with local delivery services.
Fortunately, one New York company has made it easy to get your favorite overseas publications to your doorstep. Whether you have to fact-check an article and need a magazine within two hours or want to receive a foreign newspaper at the beginning of every week, Mitchell’sNY will bring them to your address.
3. A Basic White Tee
Everyone needs at least one basic white t-shirt in their rotation. They are the minimalist and understated staples of just about any wardrobe, the perfect option when you need a quick and chic outfit.
However, spills happen, even to the best of us. You might order one of your favorite meals to your apartment while you get ready to spend an evening with friends. Before you are planning to leave, some sauce splashes onto the shirt, leaving a bright orange stain.
Some businesses, such as Everlane, will deliver pieces of clothing to select New York zip codes. They will deliver a brand new white tee within an hour for a small additional fee — if you buy more than one item, they waive the fee.
4. Breakfast Makers
Anticipating breakfast cravings is hard.
You might go to bed thinking you’ll have some granola in the morning, but when you wake up, all you can think about is a stack of warm, crispy waffles smothered with fruit and whipped cream.
Ordering breakfast can become expensive very quickly — for most of us, it’s not practical to have breakfast delivered to our home every morning. Instead, order the equipment that will let you make your favorite morning meals whenever you’re craving it.
Have a Belgian waffle maker delivered to your doorstep and enjoy fresh, buttery waffles whenever the mood strikes. Or, if you prefer a heartier meal, order a dual breakfast sandwich maker — it cooks all elements of a delicious breakfast sandwich at once. These practical deliveries save you time, and they will ultimately save you the money you would have spent ordering restaurant-made breakfasts every morning.
If you need quality liquor fast, you’re in luck — numerous delivery services can bring your favorite alcohols to your door, just in time for your dinner party or a casual night with friends. These also make the perfect gifts, and if you need it quickly, many companies offer same-day delivery.
Several businesses offer fast delivery for all of your go-to wines, beers and liquors. For several companies, ordering is as easy as downloading an app and selecting your alcohol and address. In our on-demand culture, liquor delivery is the latest in a nation-wide trend towards faster and more convenient shopping experiences.
If you want something other than alcohol, you can find all of your favorite non-alcoholic drinks available for delivery as well. From sparkling water to healthy probiotic drinks, services such as Beverage Universe let you enjoy an enormous range of beverages without leaving your apartment. They also make the perfect mixers for your mixed drinks!
While a culture of fast-delivery might change the way beverages are purchased, it doesn’t change the way that they are enjoyed — order a bottle for your next celebration and party in style.
6. The Spa
For the days where you need the luxury of a spa in the comfort of your home, consider booking a home appointment with a massage therapist.
Certified massage therapists will bring everything you need to detox and relax to your home. The pace of life in New York City moves fast, which often comes with constant stress. Over time, this pressure and stress can build into muscle tension and pain. A home visit from an expert massage therapist could be a remedy you’ve been looking for.
Some businesses offer spa services within an hour after you order, giving you fast relief. A delivered spa is also helpful for exercise enthusiasts — if you often come back from the gym with aching and sore muscles but don’t have time to stop by a spa, a home appointment will benefit both your health and your busy schedule.
In the midst of the active and stressful New York pace, sometimes all you want is to cuddle a sweet and loving puppy.
Lucky for you, New York has several puppy delivery services to choose from. Uber recently launched a “puppy playtime” delivery, which brought cute pups and their handlers to your home for a fee. Other companies offer to provide plenty of dogs for you to throw a “puppy party” at whatever location you choose, although you need to order a few days in advance.
If you miss the love and affection of a pet but don’t have the time or space to have your own, ordering a few puppies for your next party is the perfect solution.
8. Christmas Trees
Few things are as frustrating as trying to transport a Christmas tree through the New York labyrinth.
Spruces and fir trees weren’t designed to be squeezed onto subways or wrestled on top of taxis. This holiday season, skip the stress and have your tree delivered straight to your door. Several New York City businesses have jumped on the delivery trend, and more companies than ever offer a headache-free Christmas tree shopping experience.
Some companies even provide complimentary delivery, installation and a tree stand with your order — Christmas tree shopping has never been this easy.
9. A New Car
Not many people enjoy the experience of shopping for a new car. Besides dealing with car salesmen and price negotiations, finding a new ride requires a significant time investment.
If you live in New York City, some companies have decided to change the car-shopping process. A few allow you to purchase a new car online, and once the order is complete, they deliver the vehicle to your location for free.
For those who aren’t interested in purchasing a new vehicle but love test driving a few, another NYC-based organization can help. If you are passionate about good cars and have some money to spend, you could get beautiful cars delivered to your address for you to test drive. From classic models to modern exotics, the Classic Car Club Manhattan allows you to experience the world’s best cars from the comfort of your neighborhood.
10. Cleaning Services
Keeping up with your apartment and laundry can be overwhelming, especially if you have a hectic schedule. Dishes begin to pile up in the sink, and clutter accumulates around your rooms. Laundry is just as difficult — you have to determine which pieces require dry cleaning and which don’t, and then you have to coordinate your schedule around trips to the cleaners. More often than not, laundry and clutter piles will lie in corners for weeks before we have time to deal with them.
Fortunately, New York City offers a wide range of cleaning businesses that can help. Whether you need someone to tidy your living room or wash and fold your laundry, you can find a cleaning service that comes to your home and help.
11. A Piano
A piano is a significant purchase, especially in New York — space is limited in most city locations, and pianos are known for their high prices. Notoriously heavy, pianos are also a pain to move, particularly up and down apartment stairs.
However, some businesses provide a way to play the piano of your dreams without worrying about apartment stairs. A few let you select the piano you want online, with both full purchase and monthly rental options. Once you’ve chosen the instrument, the business will deliver the piano to your door and will help you bring it into your home.
With store-to-door service, these companies let you enjoy the beauty and relaxation of playing an instrument without the stress of transporting it.
12. Moving Boxes
Often, moving is a time-consuming and stressful experience. Even if you’re just moving a few blocks, packing, transporting, unpacking and organizing all of your belongings takes an enormous amount of time and energy.
If you are in the middle of a move and realize you’re short on boxes or containers, you don’t have to rush to the store to find more. For New Yorkers, you can order moving boxes at the push of a button, and they will be delivered quickly to your door.
13. A Plant Wall
Maybe you’re throwing a friend’s birthday party at your apartment. It’s the day of the event, and you’re scrambling to make sure all the decorations look acceptable. But the space still seems a little empty — if only you were more of a green thumb!
Luckily, several businesses offer plant rentals. If you work with a plant rental company, you can choose whatever type and style of plants you need for your event or business, whether you want succulent arrangements, vibrant plant walls or an entire palm tree.
14. A Makeover Team
When most people think about a “makeover team,” they picture about celebrities getting ready for a gala. But a few businesses let you experience the glamor of stardom without the price tag.
With companies like the Glam App, you can schedule an at-home appointment to transform your hair, makeup or nails. The company allows you to book an appointment for a future date or choose the “immediately” option, which instantly dispatches a team of beauty artists to your address.
If you are looking for hair service, many salon-delivery companies offer a variety of styles, from the classic blow-dry to waves, curls, straightening and even braids and complicated updos. Makeup looks range from minimalist to full-face, and for those needing new nails, the artists can provide a chic manicure or a total polish change.
Whether you need a fresh look for an event or want to look your best for a party, these makeover teams deliver the salon to your doorstep.
15. A Blow-Up Mattress
Life is full of unexpected events. Whether it’s distant relatives popping by for a surprise visit or a friend who needs to crash on your floor, you might find yourself in need of some additional sleeping amenities.
Many companies are branching out into instant delivery. For example, Amazon is offering an Amazon Prime Now option that promises “ultrafast” order delivery. This means that you can get a blow-up mattress delivered to your apartment with a discrete press of a button, letting your guests sleep comfortably.
Sometimes, you could decide to spend a few nights at a friend’s house. When you need a change of scenery, have a blow-up mattress quickly delivered to you or your friend’s address and save yourself from sleeping on a couch.
Trust Mitchell’sNY for Your NYC Deliveries
When you are looking for fast delivery, you need a service that is reliable, knowledgeable and professional. At Mitchell’sNY, trustworthy and efficient delivery is our specialty.
Mitchell’sNY has served the New York City and tri-state area since 1946, and we know the region like the back of our hand. Using our decades of experience, we have built an unbeatable record of accurate, on-time delivery, and our reputation speaks for itself.
At Mitchell’sNY, we can deliver anything to any address. Along with residential addresses, we also deliver to businesses and hospitals. Our delivery fleet includes couriers, vans, trucks and refrigerated trucks, which allows us to bring any purchase straight to your door.
If you prefer to do your Christmas shopping online, we can make sure it gets to your address for the holidays. Even if it’s last-minute, Mitchell’sNY is here to help — we offer two-hour deliveries anywhere in the Manhattan area, so you can receive your package in time for Christmas morning.
Work with a partner you can trust — contact Mitchell’sNY today for all of your delivery needs.
October 24, 2018
New York City is a notoriously expensive place to visit and to live. However, you don’t need to spend a lot of money to have a good time in the Big Apple. From the many public parks to museums that offer specific times where they waive entry fees, there are lots of free things to do in New York City.
New York City has more than 1700 parks, most of which are public — meaning they’re always free to visit. Choose one, then have a picnic, take a walk or ride your bike on a sunny afternoon. Spending a day at the park is a great way to get away from the fast-paced streets of the city. Here are a few to check out:
- Central Park: As New York City’s most famous green space, Central Park has many attractions and activities. You can attend free concerts in the summer, take a walk around the reservoir and play volleyball near Sheep Meadow.
- Brooklyn Bridge Park: Brooklyn Bridge Park is unique because it does not have the sprawling green spaces like other parks in the city. Instead, it celebrates its urban setting. When you visit this park, you’ll be able to enjoy the Brooklyn waterfront and see beautiful views of Manhattan.
- Prospect Park: Like Central Park, Prospect Park is primarily made up of green space. However, unlike Central Park, you can walk through shaded wetlands, as well. Prospect Park also has a few sports facilities and an ice rink.
If you’re having a hard time finding attractions with free admission, there’s an alternative — many places and organizations offer tours for no charge. Check out some of these options for a zero-cost excursion:
- Central Park Conservancy: The Central Park Conservancy is an organization that helps to maintain Central Park. If you don’t know what to see first in the massive green space, they can help you. They offer several different routes depending on the season, so there’s always something new to experience. You could tour the formal Conservatory Garden, the Bethesda Terrace and Harlem Meer, for example.
- Grand Central Partnership: Grand Central Station is much more than a transportation hub. The station has a long history and many features that most people don’t know about. The Grand Central Partnership’s local urban historians will walk you through the landmark on a unique 90-minute adventure.
- The High Line: Possibly one of New York City’s most unique places, The High Line is elevated above street level on an old rail line. You will learn about the history of the extraordinary park and see its exciting features on this hour-long tour.
Visiting New York City with a limited budget is easier than you might think. Yes, you could easily spend a lot of money and have a great time, but you don’t have to. There are so many free attractions that you certainly won’t run out of things to do — even if you do run out of cash.
Leave a comment below to share what your favorite zero-cost activities in NYC are!
September 15, 2018
You have to love the bustle of an urban area to live in New York City full-time. But, the constant movement can be exhausting, too. You may also become tired of seeing the same old landscape day after day — concrete sidewalks and buildings that all start to blend together after awhile. To relieve the sometimes bland atmosphere, New York City’s parks and gardens are an oasis for residents.
Here are our top picks for some of New York City’s best public gardens:
- New York Botanical Garden: While strolling through the seasonally-changing gardens, you’ll see all types of colors and smell many different fragrances around you. Taking a walk through the garden, you can’t help but forget about any stress and worries. The New York Botanical Garden is not only a place to see beautiful flowers and plants — you can also attend special events like concerts, poetry readings, lectures and classes, or take tours. Get involved with the New York Botanical Garden’s community initiatives, like the Bronx Green-Up. It’s a great way to meet new people and give back to the community.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden: You’ll see all kinds of colorful flowers and other plants when you visit the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. What you see always depends on the season. The garden offers fun activities for kids and families, as well as some adults-only programs. It’s the perfect place to unwind and learn something new about horticulture.
- New York Chinese Scholar’s Garden: Located on Staten Island’s Snug Harbor, the New York Chinese Scholar’s Garden will make you feel like you’ve been transported to Asia. The features of this landscape were inspired by paintings and poetry of Taoist, Buddhist and Confucian monks. There is a large pagoda-looking structure, a path through a bamboo forest and a koi pond.
- Sixth Street and Avenue B Community Garden: This is a favorite spot in the East Village, located on the corner of Sixth Street and Avenue B. The community garden hosts special events, including concerts and literary readings. It’s the perfect location to enjoy other activities in a quiet, beautiful space.
- Connie Gretz Secret Garden: This garden is located in the Staten Island Botanical Garden. Inspired by the classic children’s book The Secret Garden, you have to make your way through a maze to reach the destination. Once you solve the puzzle, you’ll find an enchanting little haven inside. There is a fairy-tale castle for kids to play, including a drawbridge and moat.
When you live in a large city like New York City, you should stop and appreciate any greenery you can find. Whether you’re spending the day at Central Park or admiring the Japanese lilac trees lining your street, it’s refreshing to see bits of nature to complement the urban landscape you experience daily.
In the comments, let us know how you add some nature to your day-to-day living in New York City, as well as which green spaces you love the most.