In a city the size of New York, there are countless ways to enjoy yourself year-round. Winter is an especially exciting time of year to be in The Big Apple, as the excitement and energy of the coming holidays fills the air. If you’re looking to spend some time around the holidays in NYC, we’ve got a few great tips on what to do and where to go:
- Ice skating: An NYC tradition, skating is an excellent way to enjoy the crisp winter air and take in the sights and sounds of the holidays. Some popular places to skate include the Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park and Central Park. If you don’t want to lug your skates around all day, you can rent skates at the various rinks around town. Book ahead online as the rinks are extremely popular around the holidays!
- Tree lighting at Rockefeller: If you’re visiting NYC at the end of November, you can participate in the legendary lighting of the tree at Rockefeller Plaza. Even if you can’t be there for the lighting, no trip to NYC around the holidays would be complete without checking out the huge tree lit up with thousands of lights and decorations. It’s hard not to get into the holiday mood after seeing the Rockefeller tree lit up!
- Tasty treats at Serendipity 3: There are countless places to stop for delicious food and drink in NYC, but one of our favorites is Serendipity 3. We especially love stopping there after a chilly day wandering the city for a delicious hot chocolate or a warm brownie. It’s the perfect place to recharge your batteries, fill your tummy and get ready for the rest of your holiday NYC adventure!
- Shopping: It hardly needs saying! What better place to finish your holiday shopping than NYC? There’s probably no better place in the world to get everything you need — high-end brand-name fashions, electronics, books, stationery, toys, watches, jewelry, handmade arts and crafts… We suggest the exciting, vibrant West Village, which takes on a special glow around the holidays.
- A festive show: There is one classic ballet that’s perfectly suited for the holidays and that’s George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker. You can catch this legendary ballet at Lincoln Center during the holiday season. The young will be amazed and the old will feel young again, thanks to the beauty and tenderness of this timeless classic. It really is a feast for the eyes and one of our must-do events of the NYC holiday season.
There is no wrong way to spend your holidays in NYC! Bring your family and friends and discover a different side of NYC this winter. The air will be crisp, the streets will be buzzing and everyone you meet will be sharing your excitement for the coming holidays. Our team at Mitchell’sNY will work extra hard to help you in any way we can with things like delivery of newspapers, magazines, beverages, food or any of the other great services we offer. Simply give us a call and tell us about your NYC holiday plans and we’ll let you know how we can assist!